Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* *** Exam Experience ***
  dr_80 - 12/20/06 21:46

All praise to ALLAH who is most beneficent and merciful.

I had been a regular although not active member of this forum since I started my preparation 7 months ago. Today was the day for which I'd waited most. So here I am with my exam experience.

Material used: Mainly Kaplan except for pathology for which I used Goljan and HY for anatomy. I did UW (loved it so much that I wasn’t really able to do Kaplan Q bank (done 30 % hardly) and Q book (done 50%) afterwards.

The EXAM:

This is an exam of not only how much you know and can recall but more of how good your nerves are. If you control your anxiety level then you can kill this exam otherwise this exam and your anxiety will kill you. So choice is yours. It was a fair exam with mixture of qs from each and every subject and difficulty level varying from simple two liner staright forward qs to 8-9 liner hard and weird qs. Majority of qs had 5-6 lab values in it so good time management is really important in this exam. Most difficult part of my exam was genetics, biochemistry and anatomy.

At this stage its really hard to say how I did on the exam. I just came back home after the exam and am writing all this specially for those who have their exam in next few days ... just relax and give it your best shot .

I will post qs latter as I am tired now and having sort of brain block.

Last but not least , I would like to thank God for all HIS blessings , my husband for his constant support , my parents for their prayers , my forum friends specially Kashmala , shawn , shigella , iced , sao , sage , calmer and many more ...

I am really grateful to one of my college senior (hope u r reading this ) who has been a constant source of support for me .

Thank you all and wish me luck for my result.

Report Abuse

* Re:*** Exam Experience ***
  calmer - 12/20/06 21:49

wow...congrats on finishing and thanku so much for posting so soon,,,,

inshallah u will have done excellently....

Report Abuse

sanie - 12/20/06 21:49

Congrats, wishing Allah compensates you.  
Report Abuse

iced - 12/20/06 21:51

congrats ...
i hope u get a real good score.Ameen

Report Abuse

drmaya - 12/20/06 22:47

thanx dr_80 for sharing ur experience...we wil b waiting to hear from u soon bout the questions..one thing wat was ur score in UW.?...i m anxious..coz my exam is in jan..any way all the best to u..may u get a nice score by the Grace f Allah  
Report Abuse

kashmala - 12/21/06 00:11

congrtas
u r done wiht step 1 inshaAllah.
cud u pls tell us abt MRIs .have u been able to identify structures on first sight in MRIs n CTS or it took u little time.how abt path slides.pls do tell us abt it whenever u get a chance.thanks for sharing ur nice exam experience with us.

Report Abuse

shigella - 12/21/06 00:13

Hey, GO GIRLLLLLLLL

Great joooooooooob.
I'm so happy for you.

P.s. You know what.....u're probably the smartest person out there cz what I contracted from your short but concise summary of the exam, I didn't get that from anybody else's experience.
I.e - Nerve Control ,Nerve control AND nerve control ;)
- Lab values....Should b memorised to save time...

Hope 2 talk 2 u soon.
U'r gonna do great
AND solve that fun IQ test I told you. Ur gonna score a 150 . I gaurantee ........!!!!!!!!

Report Abuse

dr_80 - 12/21/06 17:34

Hey calmer , sanie , iced thank you so much for ur wishes n kind words.

drmaya I did UW after my first reading so wasnt scoring high , it was 60% cumulative , varying from 80% in patho to 40 % in biochem n genetics . Well , I wud advice you to use it more to learn facts than to assess urself.

Hey kashmala , MRI n gross pictures were doable , but ofcourse u need more time for qs with pics as u first read qs n then see the pic .... but let me tell you its not hard to interpret CT, MRI or gross pics , provided they ask you something simple and not beyond the scope of ur knowledge. Anyways kashmala I know u'll inshALLAH do great on ur exam .

Hi shigella , its very true that u need to control ur nerves n take this exam as any other practise test n believe me u'll do great . I ll let u know my score on that IQ test once I sit for it. Thanks for ur wishes.

Last but not least , it wasnt easy for me to concentrate on exam initially . The PCs they use are old ones , not lcd n I had hard time in first block coz screen was flickering like anything , I had an impulse to leave this exam in first bolck and stop this torture that wud take 8 hours .I dont know if this was the case with me or some one else also felt the same.

Report Abuse

shawn3387 - 12/21/06 19:34

dr 80,
please accept my heartiest congratulation for crossing this monster. i ll pray for your success and best possible residency. your husband also deserve congrats for constantly supporting you in your studies. All the best and good luck
shawn

Report Abuse

shawn3387 - 12/21/06 19:35

dr 80,
please accept my heartiest congratulation for crossing this monster. i ll pray for your success and best possible residency. your husband also deserve congrats for constantly supporting you in your studies. All the best and good luck
shawn

Report Abuse

kashmala - 12/21/06 19:43

dr_80
thanks a lot for ur reply based on ur recent experience.u r a part of my prayers n believe me no one know how did they do untill thier results so saty calm n have faith in Allah.InsaAllah u have pass this exam.take my owrds for it.pls also pray for me

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 3     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome