Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* keeping hope alive for next year!!!
  lehn - 11/09/06 08:36

hi guys,
86/81/pass/not taken/no usce/2000 grad/no iv/13 rej so far...
I think game is over for me. Can you please suggest something that I can do till next match(besides taking step 3) and that will add to my credentials..I don't know how to get a research position etc .Please guys any suggestions are welcome. .Do I have to take any course or training to get in to the research or any position in hospital ,private clinic.

Report Abuse

* Re:keeping hope alive for next year!!!
  hope2007 - 11/09/06 09:45

lehn,
I suggest trying for observership and voluntary work. This will dress up your resume and give you confidence for the interviews as well. But don't give up as of yet. If you have GC you can scramble to get a position. Good luck

Report Abuse

desi_doctor - 11/09/06 09:47

Are you withdrawing from the programs? I would suggest you don't and hold on to the last thread. I have more than 40 Rej and if I think like you.. I would be taking a trip to the moon.  
Report Abuse

lehn - 11/09/06 10:48

Thank you guys .But I don't see any hope.
I've been trying for observership but no luck.

Report Abuse

dradnan04 - 11/09/06 11:06

what is your visa status lehn???  
Report Abuse

lehn - 11/09/06 11:41

I have EAD and expecting GC in 1-2 months time.  
Report Abuse

dradnan04 - 11/09/06 11:48

my opinion for you is to seek some paid observership as it would be easy to get. There are certain hospitals who offer observerships with some money, may be like $200-300 per month. Another way is to email different faculties in some nearby universities to ask for a volunteer research with them. Just show your interest in that particular subspecialty and attach your resume with your email. I got a research in the same way and let me assure you that it works. Try to be with any MD in the research, not a PhD. Once you start with him/her volunteerly, you can ask him/her to attend clinic with him/her after about two months. I'm 100% sure that you'll improve your CV very much for the residency next year. The advantage of attaending clinics with the research faculty is that it would not only be an observership, rather it would be an externship as you would definitely be examining and presenting patients. In this way, you'll get a letter for real "hands-on" experience.
Hope this helped. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Thanks and GL

Report Abuse

lehn - 11/09/06 11:53

thanks dradnan.
I am on it right now.I live in austin so lets see how it works.
Thanks and GL to u.

Report Abuse

hope2007 - 11/09/06 12:00

lehn,
I think I have a list of hospitals which give observership. Let me dig in to my old files and I will e-mail it to you. Hang in there buddy

Report Abuse

gita1958 - 11/09/06 12:03

To lehn;

Hi, I'm in Austin too and I've tried everything possible to get an observership in Brackenridge or St. David. Could not be sucessful. Therefore, I did an observership in a private practice clinic. Also, volunteered in the Austin volunteer clinic. About clinical research in Austin, I don't think much is going on here. I tried there too. Of course, you can explore everything by yourself. But, I just thought, I would let you know. And, by the way, I don't have any IV yet too.

My guess is, as dradnan o4 said, you can try for paid externship. They have it in Dallas and Houston. Contact FMG Portal, if you want. Even, you can directly apply to Baylor for externship.

Good luck.

Report Abuse

lehn - 11/09/06 12:06

Hope and gita thanks.
Looking forward for more input.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome