Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 2 CK   *  >   >>  

* Failed my ck 3 times. Looking for help and support
  zyon - 12/03/16 18:46

Hello everyone,
I'm an IMG and any advice would be of any help. On September 14, I received my Ck score, Failed for the third time. I was very well prepared for this exam. After learning from my mistakes on the past exams, I took 8 months of preparation where I started using the MKSAP for students for my weak spots along master the boards 2 and 3 . Did uworld 3 times scoring over 80%, covering all topics back to back discussing every possible choices in each question.

I was also studying with a friend. helping each other, discussing certain topics and doing questions together. During the summer I did almost full the Medquest qbank. Took many notes from it and have one notebook full of notes since I started studying uworld from the first time and with notes from usmlerx, kaplan qs (which was very bad bank for me) and medquest bank. During my studies, I was not only memorizing, I was applying and understanding medicine the whole time.

On my last NBME before exam, I scored 229 (460). UW assessment: 219. I did almost all 4 versions of each CMS exam topics scoring over 80% and discussed every single one of them. free150qs 3 days before exam: 83%

Overall, I have done Uworld >10 times, read Kaplan lecture notes 3 times. IM essentials questions. MTB2 > I lost the count here but around 30 times maybe, MTB3 2 times. Thousands of practice questions and qbanks. I don't know what else to do. I already have memorized uworld completely. I have done so many other resources but I stopped using other materials because it didn't helped me for my first 2 attempts and wanted to focus on the main things everyone recommended me.

When I took my exam for the 3rd time in July, I found it very hard, harder than my first 2 times and I was way more prepared for it. I even score less!! (188) and I had scored 203 on my 2nd attempt. 188?? when i was scoring in the 220's? How is this even possible? How can I decrease my score when I gave it all, and the only thing I was doing the whole year was only studying 6 out of 7 days a week. I got so many weird questions, things that were not in my banks, books or i have never seen in my rotations, specially questions of statistics and ethics. I had no choice but to guess in many questions.

Now after a couple of months from my last exam, I've been trying to get back in track and study again. But I can't find the way to do it. Seriously I need help and advice. Would really appreciate this.

Report Abuse

* Re:Failed my ck 3 times. Looking for help and supp
  usmlejourney2015 - 12/04/16 15:32

Don't stop, keep going, you just need to identify the weak area. It is about focus and application rather than doing multiple times. I suggest talking to a professional counselor on strategies for next attempt.  
Report Abuse

zyon - 12/05/16 19:41

@usmlejourney2015 Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions for a professional counselor? I have talked in person to different doctors from Kaplan and PASS way in the past and they believe it's test taking skills. They tought me different methods but none of them are effective.  
Report Abuse

morticia - 12/06/16 02:10

Please dont worry and keep on going .

Maybe u get nervous on the test date or tired in the blocks and cant answer well the quest ?

I dont really know i wish. I could help u .....

When r u planning on taking the test again? I am in crunch time now
but after i take my test i could maybe help u ..... I know u must b frustrated and tired but i also know u can do it too

Wish u all the very best

Report Abuse

n1ckname - 12/06/16 09:54

Hi I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe I can help you. This is my email nick_name1234@hotmail.com contact me so we can talk  
Report Abuse

step2ck260 - 12/06/16 21:25

you have done everything in a right way and with hardwork plz tell me more about yourself

- where you from?
-which location n what month did u take the exam?
-all exam in same location?
-at the time of exam you had a hard time figuring out what they were asking?
-did you read all the answer choices n choose the answer?

plz knowing your situation people might take advantage; plz do not fall into any trap. gl

Report Abuse

zyon - 12/07/16 00:28

@step2ck260

1-I'm a US citizen, Spanish descendant, IMG who studied in Mexico
2-Took exam in NJ, 2 different test centers. months: november, august and July.
3- 1st and 3rd try in the same test center. I'm not sure if i can say the test location here.
4- Yes, compared to my NBME's and qbanks i found it hard to answer and figure out the answers fast enough.
5-I did read the answer choices. I always ended up the exam with 0 minutes left. answering the last question on the last minute.

Report Abuse

zyon - 12/07/16 00:29

@morticia thank you. Good Luck in your exam!  
Report Abuse

morticia - 12/07/16 00:46

@ zyon ,

Hey do not worry u will make it happen

Do u have skype id ? If so pls let me know and i will contact u

Thank u !

Report Abuse

zyon - 12/07/16 00:49

@ morticia

skype id: y.kenneth