Step 1
Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* How does Antimuscarinic Drugs help tremors?
  hackeater - 01/12/18 12:21

Hello, I would like to know how does Antimuscarinic drugs such as Benztropine help with tremors. From what I am aware of the muscles have 2 types of receptors Nm (Nicotinic) and Beta-2. Benztropine or Trihexyphenidyl block M receptors. I would appreciate it if someone can explain that for me. Thank you.  
Report Abuse

* Re:How does Antimuscarinic Drugs help tremors?
  cardio69 - 01/14/18 00:03

Benztropine enter BBB/tertiary amine property and tickle M1 in corpus striatum*. Cholinergic neurons stimulate GABAergic & if dopaminergic inhibit them. By blocking cholinergic with Benztropine*/ compensate to restore the dopaminergic/cholinergic that control/reduce those tremors in that rigidity.

Now you tell me, why we use benztropine with caution in pat in hot weather/or during exercise?

Report Abuse

hackeater - 01/16/18 15:28

Thank you so much for making that clear. Now back to your question, I think during hot weather or exercise our bodies want to naturally dissipate heat by vasodilation and by taking Benztropine the M3 receptors are blocked therefore causing the vessels to constrict more and not allowing it to release the heat. I think lol.  
Report Abuse

tophan - 01/16/18 18:21

keep in mind that vessel is sympathetic dominant not parasympathetic. besides, they have sympathetic cholinergic which is not innervated means having receptors. regarding this q, sweat glands are involved.. and there 2 types of sweat glands with 2 different innervations.  
Report Abuse

cardio69 - 01/16/18 18:56

You understand Benztropine sis of and thus significant anticholinergic effects (remember if the blocked of thermoregulatory sweating hot weather/ambient temp ↑ ( anhidrosis ) when some disturbance of sweating already exists-> HypErthermia or atropine fever (also aka “hot as a pistol”) what u need to do? You bring the dose down in alcoholic, anticholinergic-type antiparkinsonism drugs (like here what u ask benztropine) or in combination with phenothiazines and/or tricyclic antidepressants. To prevent Paralytic ileus, hyperthermia & heat stroke pat taking them:)  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome