Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* Old FMG, is it worth it?
  nostalgia210 - 03/03/18 15:32

Hello everyone,
I am not sure what I am asking here, but I am an old FMG who lost touch with clinical medicine and would like to come back, but terrified.
I graduated 2009 and finished my internship in 2011. Since then I worked in my school of medicine as public health instructor and then received a masters and doing a PhD now in public health in the states in a very prestigious school.
I guess those are medically related areas, but I also have been very unsuccessful in publishing and right now struggling to get my dissertation data collected so not really time to be studying in earnest for USMLE. I don't see any possibility to even start seriously preparing before May 2019 but I want to start refreshing my medical knowledge now. I am also married so my options in terms of location are not super flexible since I need to consider my husband's ability to relocate given his career.

I guess the question of this long rant, is it worth it to go through the USMLE process and apply for matching at this point. I really miss medicine, and I want to be a child psychiatrist (which was my initial plan but my school did not have a specialized program). On the positive side, I have had clerkship in the US during my internship, have connections with psychiatry departments where I could have more observerships, and also by time I apply for match, if I ever, I will hopefully have a green card
Thanks!

Report Abuse

* Re:Old FMG, is it worth it?
  rpl - 03/03/18 21:59

It is only 9 years since graduation no big deal. Try USMLE and see. You will be happy that You did what you wanted instead of having regrets of not trying. All the best.  
Report Abuse

raphaella - 03/07/18 12:20

I know an IMG who started residency in the US 17 years after graduating. She is currently an attending. I hope this encourages you as it did me.  
Report Abuse

drd81 - 03/08/18 14:27

Hi Nostalgia,
Same boat... welcome :) we can prep together if it helps!
leave your Skype id and we can connect!

Report Abuse

alt - 03/12/18 11:58

Hi Nostalgia and drd81.
I'm in the same predicament.
We can study together.
Where are you located?

Report Abuse

doctorpatel - 03/20/18 13:17

great story