Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* Residency and medical license
  img919 - 11/29/18 13:03

I am an old img planning to apply next season .I am not be eligible for medical license in many states with 7 year rule for usmle....but few states like NY do not have 7 year rule.... My question is .....can I apply or do residency in states with 7 year rule.???.....do you need medical license to complete residency??...is it essential to be eligible for that state medical licenseure in order to start residency there?.....or is it meaningless to apply in states with 7 year rule..or... should the application be just limited to states with greater than 7 year time frame to do Usmle where I may be fit for the medical license later.?.... please help..... thanks...

Report Abuse

* Re:Residency and medical license
  masalaman - 12/02/18 19:06

I believe most states are 7 years from beginning of first step whatever it is regardless of attempts not from year of graduation.. That is why ECFMG specifically allows some people to take one of the exams so that all the exams are within the 7 year window period.. It is clearly on their website

For exam.. you take step 1 in May 2012.. and finish all exams before may 2019 and apply for license in May 2020.. your step 1 is out of the 7 yr window.. so now ECFMG allows you to retake step 1 again to meet the window.. but the catch is only one choice is given.. you either pass or fail.. no second chances .. if you fail.. your chance of license in that particular state is gone..

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome