Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Am I competitive for internal medicine?
  aceofmed - 02/09/18 22:47

Hello,

IMG with YOG 2014

Step 1 = 240
step 2CK= 250+
step 2 CS= pass @ first attempt

require visa

No USCE as of now, only some research in canada

any chance for matching in internal medicine for next year OR SOAP of this year (2018)?

Overall am I competitive enough for internal medicine?

thank you

Report Abuse

* Re:Am I competitive for internal medicine?
  2017peludi - 02/09/18 23:06

hey aceodmed

YES, you are competitive for an internal medicine position. if you apply to 150 programs or so, you are probably going to get 10 or so interviews (unless there is a red flag in your cv).

Sometimes as IMGs we believe the SOAP is easier because programs are going to take ANYONE available, but that is not true, its harder to match in the SOAP compared to the regular MATCH. (also your options will be way more limited).

So, if I were you with those scores... I would take this year to take step 3 and to get recommendation letters from US Internal medicine physicians. This will not only increase your chances at 2019 but also it will increase your options (better hospitals, better cities, etc).

congratulations for your achievements so far.

Report Abuse

aceofmed - 02/09/18 23:25

thanks for the prompt reply "2017peludi"

it was such a relief, I was gradually getting the feeling that my scores are weak !

But now that you say they are at least acceptable, I am more confident than before.

So I will move to US from Canada as soon as possible ( probably next few months).

thanks again

All the best

Report Abuse

2pac - 02/10/18 09:04

Take step 3 too for H1b sponsee

Congrats you got a great chance.. IM is better more spots

Report Abuse

stepup3 - 02/11/18 17:43

You are somewhere on the middle, see page 113-...: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-IM...Gs-2016.pdf

http://www.nrmp.org/main-residency-match-data/

Good luck!

Report Abuse

aceofmed - 02/11/18 18:56

here comes the wave of hopelessness. :(

"pop goes the weasel"

thanks for clarifying.

Report Abuse

stepup3 - 02/12/18 11:59

Half glass full or empty? I would say full. You have great scores. If you are Canadian with excellent English, you will get it. Let physician (preferably PD) know you. If you do not feel strong, find a hospital for poor (overloaded with patients and unmatched in the past) and start volunteering there, talk to residents there. By your scores you have a great chance to get it. As you can see the statistics, IMGs with very low could match as well not match with super high. They did something very different. If you are look like matched majority, think like them, behave like them, you will be there. Good luck!  
Report Abuse

aceofmed - 02/12/18 14:04

thanks for the complete explanation ! will do my best !:)  
Report Abuse

kavya@4a1 - 02/14/18 08:09

Yes you have good chances of matching for the next match, as you have good scores in USMLE and having some research in the canada, this will be helpful for your application. But applicants need to have hands-on clinical experience in US and have strong LORs in their application that will be having more weightage for the applicants in the match.  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome