Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
 SOAP Begins in: 
  <<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Matched with just 1 interview.
  lifeofresident - 03/13/18 23:25
  Hello everyone, I have been a silent member in this forum for almost 4 years now. I think it's time to share my story.

My creds: Non-US IMG, YOG-2012, Scores- 21x, 23x, pass(2nd attempt), 20x(2nd attempt), 9 mo observerships, 6 mo research, 4 publications- not first author, MPH.

I applied in 3 consecutive matches and never got a single interview call. Possible reasons could be my bad scores/attempts, lack of hands on USCE, no good LORs, poor personal statement, and late application in October. I lost hope, yet didn't want to give up; so started improving my profile by gathering good LORs, writing case reports/articles for publications, enrolling in MPH, refining personal statement and most importantly applying on time.

When I received my first interview this season, I couldn't believe my own eyes. I made sure I didn't miss a detail about them. If you are well prepared, all it takes is 1 interview to match. But getting an interview is tough part in my case. New programs won't have strict criteria like established ones, hence there is a chance of receiving an interview call when you apply to them as soon as they show up on eras. So keep checking for new programs all through the season.

My advise: In this long draining journey towards residency, one should always have a plan B. My plan B is MPH. Be prepared for worst but do not stop trying, you never know which program will like your profile.

I wish all those unmatched good luck for the next season. This is the time to improve your profile and interview skills.

Report Abuse

* Re:Matched with just 1 interview.
  cy - 03/14/18 02:54
  Congrat, thanks for sharing, and good luck!  
Report Abuse

mle16 - 03/14/18 12:29
  Hi lifeofresident,
congratulations. That's very inspiring.

I would like to request you to provide me some inputs on MPH program.
I did not match this year. I am looking for online MPH programs.

Could you please share information related to MPH program.
Please let me know if I can contact you?

Thank you.
Report Abuse

rpl - 03/14/18 12:32
  Congrats and all the best .
Appreciate your compassion by sharing your story.
Report Abuse

fidelity - 03/16/18 15:30
  Many congratulations. very inspiring  
Report Abuse

lifeofresident - 03/16/18 15:49
  Thank you all. I wish you all good luck and hope you'll reach your goals soon.

@mle16 - Sure. I will be happy to help. Please leave your email id or skype id. I will ping you there.
Report Abuse

decarbazine - 03/17/18 03:02
  Hey congrats ! quick question. did you mention your failures in your personnel statement and how your learned from them. Some people say to mention it and some say to not, so i'm confused. would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome