Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Emergency Medicine Residency
  psychoroxxy - 06/03/18 13:42

Dear all,

I am an IMG and an old grad of 2006 with green card.
I have completed post graduate qualification in EM from my country and now wish to pursue this specialty in USA. I do not have an USCE.

I have questions regarding following options. Please do try and guide to the best of your knowledge.

1) Would doing a physician assistantship increase my chances of landing a spot in EM residency?

2) Would doing an MPH in public health help with my applications in EM residency ?

3) Would pursuing a EMT-Paramedic qualification increase my chances of getting an EM residency?

Report Abuse

* Re:Emergency Medicine Residency
  dreamstocometrue - 06/03/18 16:59

I am not in ER, but I working as an EMT will give you an opportunity to connect with ER physicians in local hospitals.

As you know most EMT programs are only 10-12 weeks long, it will be a piece of cake for with your background.

Its a direct hands on experience.

Report Abuse

psychoroxxy - 06/04/18 06:32

Can you forward resources as to how can one be an paramedic if I am coming from Pak  
Report Abuse

dreamstocometrue - 06/04/18 09:00

Look for EMT programs in your neighborhood.

Report Abuse

kavya@4a1 - 06/12/18 12:50

In order to make the application better try to get hands-on clinical experience which is more useful than the medical assistant. Because getting hands-on rotation provides strong LORs.  
Report Abuse

gear2d - 06/15/18 15:51

1) Would doing a physician assistantship increase my chances of landing a spot in EM residency?
Ideally this is program dependent when you apply. Some may view as a positive other as a negative and other as not much. If you had done PA first and went to MD then would work in your favor. These days getting into PA school is equal as hard as MD/DO schools.

2) Would doing an MPH in public health help with my applications in EM residency ? MPH would help boost your CV and given you a better chance in general.

3) Would pursuing a EMT-Paramedic qualification increase my chances of getting an EM residency? Any experience related to your field will help. I would actively try to do research by going to places with active EM residency programs and see if you can do something (MPH would help with this).

Report Abuse

kavya@4a1 - 06/25/18 11:23

EM specialty is competitive if you want to get into it then it will be better to get hands-on clinical experience which makes the application strong, but doing physician assistant wont be useful as hands-on rotations because you will be getting strong experience from USCE and can also gain strong LORs  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome