Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Can I do residency 15 years after grad/staying hom
  imgmama - 08/19/18 16:13

Do you guys think I can do residency 15 years after graduation and staying home with kids? What other alternative thing I can do instead. I have GC live in a medium size city with one university.  
Report Abuse

* Re:Can I do residency 15 years after grad/staying
  virgo32 - 08/19/18 17:06

please share your credentials.

Report Abuse

imgmama - 08/20/18 06:02

YOG 2004
done with Dermatology residency back home.
did couple of observerships at big name universities.
GC holder
step 2ck 220
no step 1 or CS yet

Report Abuse

optimisticpositive - 08/20/18 23:55

Yous Step 2 CK score is good. But you have been out of practice for too long. you can still make it If you pass your step 1 with a higher score and pass CS in your first attempt.
You need to explain your gap in your Personal Statement. You PS must be in beautiful words. I mean precise and concise (brief but comprehensive). Remember the words precise and concise.
Get CURRENT USCE or/and research experience for your application once done with step 1and CS. Once you pass your exams and ready to apply. Search for the programs meeting your criteria on Freida. You can try your luck. Trust me YOu can make it If you are confident about yourself and your faith in God is very important than anything else in the world.

Report Abuse

shivansh - 08/22/18 12:20

As you are an old grad you need to have lots of continuous hands-on rotation to strengthen the application so that you can get chances of getting IVs. Also try to get high scores in other scores which can improve your application. Try to get connections which can help in getting IVs.  
Report Abuse

smartpc - 08/22/18 15:09

From a Coordinator - Unfortunately, 15 years away from graduation will probably not get you an interview. Observerships are not helpful even for a recent graduate, as they are not real clinical experience. I would recommend doing something else - why waste a lot of money taking steps and applying now. It's been too long to be considered by the American health care system when there are thousands of recent grads. It's harsh, but honest.  
Report Abuse

down21 - 08/23/18 12:16

I totally agree with smartpc. Please choose carefully and do something else. Dont waste your money and energy  
Report Abuse

ivprac - 08/23/18 12:38

I know someone getting matched and 2006 grad. So please dont give up, let people say whatever they say there are exceptions.  
Report Abuse

imgmama - 08/25/18 08:00

More options?  
Report Abuse

imgmama - 08/29/18 08:17

@smartpc, @down221 I am intersted in Pathology, you think it is still hard with my old YOG? I think it might be a little different with pathology IMO.. it it true? when applying to a medicine, pends,... I understand the YOG and clinical experience do matter so much but is it the same for pathology too?  
Report Abuse

the28shogun - 08/29/18 10:13

You can match in pathology but you do have to do some investigating. First you have to find the pathology programs that take IMGs. Then you have to narrow your list to the programs that have taken non-traditional IMGs, which usually means IMGs from either lesser known schools, lower board scores, older year of graduation, previously completed residency in another country, etc.

Then you should contact those programs, express your interest, apply for their program, and if you are able, you should offer to do a research year.

I think you can still match no matter what, but you might have to focus on one specific program where you are able to spend a lot of time and get to know the faculty.

For example, this residency program here: http://www.usahealthsystem.com/pathology-residents

There are two residents with YOG in 2003 or earlier. I found this program after a few minutes of searching. You have to do the same for all of the pathology programs out there.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 3     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome