Step 1
Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* Failed step 1 a month ago.. want to start again.
  anonym - 05/09/19 13:42

Hello everybody.. i took my step 1 exam in march and failed it.. although i took the practise exams and pasa them well. I dont know what happend to me on the exam day. But it was a disaster.
I need to somebody to tell me what to do now? Where should i start from.. my weakness mainly included bad time managment nd maybe exam skill.. plus i confused simple things..

So if anybody is kind enough here.. looking forward for ur help.

P.s m married and a mother of two.

Report Abuse

* Re:Failed step 1 a month ago.. want to start again
  zhangji - 05/09/19 21:27

it looks like we all will have a chance to fail even though you might prepare well enough
that is really bad to know

Report Abuse

zhangji - 05/09/19 21:44

"i took my step 1 exam in march and failed it.. although i took the practise exams and pasa them well"

what is the score you got when you took the practice exams and pass them well?

Report Abuse

disme - 05/14/19 08:43

@zhangji, I do not think the practice test scores have much, if anything stall, to contribute to the outcome of the exam. I know of someone who was struggling with practice test but did very well in the exam.
@anonym I would suggest you take a short break and come back to preparation hot and on target. You were able to identify bad time management as a weakness well, how are you going to improve on that. You should learn from your mistakes, that way you are a better person. Personally I do not think failing is bad. I believe failing is better than a weak pass

Report Abuse

disme - 05/14/19 08:44

From failure you can get a high score on the next attempt, but weak pass sticks to you for life  
Report Abuse

disme - 05/14/19 08:45

Go for it doc, you can do it  
Report Abuse

usmledrill - 05/16/19 12:34

@anonym

get your head out of depression first and foremost, and get yourself back in the game. not sure if you have seen the new ECFMG email that came out a few days ago. there is talks going around with boards members, sincerely asking if a person should be judged on their marks or the personality they bring to the table. this is america! america only gives up on you, when you give up on yourself. get back up there, and try again. get strength from those that love you and support you, and learn from your mistakes. it will be a killer story to tell when your interviewed, verses someone who doesn't have a story. a black mark does not define you, only makes you stronger. ... you got this. dust your shoulders off & try again. don't listen to anyone or anything, if this is what you want, then try again.

Report Abuse

usmledrill - 05/16/19 12:46

see what areas you did weak in on your exam. take uworld up again and read through every system subject wise and do all the Q. this will act as a filter and help you find your weak spots.

for time management, doing time blocks really helps. also simulating the real day exam also helps you build stamina mentally. eating more protein rich foods as snacks for lunch help a lot, its good fuel for your brain on exam day. waking up early to prep your brain to start early in the day. most exam start at 8-9 am.. you brain should be working by 6 am -7 am. just like a warm up for the body you need to warm up your brain.

learn to control stress ---- stress is usually caused by some form of fear or insecurities you may have with regards to the exam .... eg lack of knowledge of material, lack of understanding when reading Q, lack of time management when doing Q, or lack of recalling information and having it at your fingertips. so focus on your fear, and anxiety goes down.

go over physiology know it well also (these q take longer to asw, because you need to know the mechanism or concept behind it) and ive personally seen it improve my mark.
path know it
pharm know it

hang in there and all the best

Report Abuse

anonym - 05/19/19 04:26

thank you so much everyone.. this is so encouraging.i m starting today.. will take exam in september hopefully. all the luck to all as well.  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome