Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* Chances of making it for a very old IMG
  hobo - 06/05/19 12:02

I am an IMG, YOG 2003. After my residency and short period of clinical research in my home country, I came to US with F1-visa. I did a PhD in Pathology with 3 lead author publications in high impact peer reviewed journals. I now work in a well-reputed Biotech company as a senior scientist, making a decent salary, married with kids. There is not one fleeting day in my life, I don't think about my days in medical school, and career in medicine. I would like to go back. I passed USMLE step 1 and 2 more than 7 years ago, so the scores are no longer valid. At the time I didn't have green card, I was finishing up PhD, region bound from family and young children. I want to go back, take the tests again. Is it worth the effort? I am based in California, which I hear is not the best place for IMGs. Please advise, and share your experiences. Any candid feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Report Abuse

* Re:Chances of making it for a very old IMG
  hobo - 06/05/19 12:18

Forgot to mention that my interest has always been Pathology and I would aim for residency in Pathology. My current work is mostly in genetics and diagnostics.  
Report Abuse

tata_box - 06/05/19 23:48

Never every give up! Where in Cali?

My Skype ID is:

nm_usmle_cs

We can study together and encourage each other.

I am doing pathoma right now. May be you can help me preparing for the exam.

Report Abuse

farhastep1 - 06/08/19 11:43

honestly... you have excellent chances....  
Report Abuse

esblklebsiella - 06/08/19 12:37

Do not give up on your dream if you are still passionate about practicing medicine. Just accept the reality of how big a challenge we face as IMGs. I know someone who graduated in 2004 and just matched this year. Granted, it is not your every day story but it shows it is possible. When its time to apply, apply wide and smart. Focus on community programs with a good track record of accepting IMGs  
Report Abuse

kakakow - 06/12/19 14:55

Hi. It is not impossible in pathology. I have seen residents in their fifties.

But...is it really something you want to do? Pathology is geographically limited. You will probably have to move for residency, again for fellowship, maybe for a 2nd fellowship, and for your job when you find one. Is your family OK with that?

The clinical scientist role is quite good in my opinion. I would not leave it for six years of training at low salary and repeated moves to random places.

Report Abuse

kakakow - 06/12/19 15:20

In one's 40s, there is no longer infinite time, so you have to think about quality of life for yourself and family over the next six years, not only quality of life after you are done.

Pathology residency is difficult. It is not as bad as many other specialties...no nights at the hospital, CP rotations are like normal working hours. But it is also very long--4 years AP/CP + 1-2 fellowship. The programs that are friendly to older IMGs can be scut mills and the surgical pathology rotations can be very difficult. The AP/CP boards are difficult--especially if you come from one of these programs where there is a lot of scut work and little education. Assuming you are making $150k now, you will lose almost $600k (and the income if you had invested that $600k) in the 4+2 years you are in training and be unable to save for retirement or your kids' education.

And then after all of that is done, it will be difficult to find your first job. Look at pathoutlines.com -- the advertised jobs are in places like Bismarck ND, Boise Idaho, etc. and even those ads are drawing 80-100 applicants. If you are lucky enough to find a job near either coast, your starting salary may not be much more than you are making now (although eventually you may potentially make much more).

Maybe you love medicine so much that you want to do this. But understand that even though matching is the bottleneck, in terms of difficulty it is only the beginning.

It is human nature, especially in midlife, to look back and regret the roads not taken. I guess at the end of the day if you can think of no other way of being happy, you should pursue your dream. If you can adapt your dreams and be happy with what you have, your life will probably be much easier.

Report Abuse

* ARE We ‘”’Cooking Hamburgers’ /Ordering Pizza? her
  newimresident2019 - 06/17/19 17:06

RE:

I do not know about you…but an IMG’s passage of the USMLE with a first attempt high score, for almost anyone with reasonable (1 year) US clinical experience, creates a 70-85% chance of matching in a primary care residency in the USA. Failure, will seriously reduce those numbers…We are not ‘looking for hamburgers, or pizza deliveries…, ‘ in order to get their (Amazon?) ratings. The numerous –personally failed-people that write very unusual and unverified information on these fora, appear to not have any “idea what they are talking about...“ (‘blind leading the blind???...’).

They also fail to realize that given the above-described importance of the USMLE, and 1 year of “hands-on-“ US Clinical Experience with excellent correlated, Letters Of Recommendation, that these credentials are very likely (add Spanish speaking, and research, and grad degrees etc) to lead to jobs that will start at $160K, and escalate very quickly-with 4-5 years of practice experience- to $210-$270+k per annum in total compensation packages.

In light of the above overall circumstance, I strongly advise you to view an IMG- friend’s (Now a PGY-V) ‘real story-‘ 206,354+ views-(FULL-BLOWN WORK-UP)- blog with the keywords’ search terms provided below (along with a topical index). GL and GB YOU..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE Registration Information at TOP KEY WORDS’ SEARCH RESULT (206,354
views):

IMG passed USMLE and got IM residency
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• “Landing here…”

• Paid jobs-clinically –based, temporary, with proven results in helping to get into residency
BUILD YOUR NETWORK… NOW; ‘PAY YOUR DUES…’WE ALL HAVE DONE SO…so must YOU!
• Clinical experience- (list of 75 opportunities-recurring)

• Research experience- (list of 22 opportunities-recurring)

• Graduate programs- the “How to…”

• USMLE passage-GUARANTEED and non guaranteed (“ THE REAL STORY” regarding the significance of first attempt –passage; relative importance of each step; and why residency review committee - board of directors prefer a step 3 passage prior to interview…and thus it serves as an upgrade of sorts for the ERAS application )

o Course (online, or live or other hybrid, tutoring services)
 Experiences,
 Comparisons,
 Outcomes tallied
DO NOT RISK A FAILURE OR LOW PASSING SCORE-PERIOD-IT IS YOUR HIGHEST PRIORITY…PERIOD!

• ERAS; W’s and when, in the application cycle… is it too late???

• “IMG-favoring-” residencies

• LORS-examples

• Statements-examples

• Interviews- tips

• Residency- how to navigate the entire hospital system of underlings and superiors..political and non-political…

• Salaries…real medical economics’ data-based figures for primary care practices…of all types

• Practice development…get a jump start on the real process and get in touch with recruiters …NOW..or as soon as you have matched…save lost time in the form of opportunity costs that accrue later…BUILD YOUR NETWORK… NOW

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome