Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Failed USMLE Step 1
  indianimg1991 - 03/13/19 09:21

I am an old IMG. I finished my MBBS in 2017. I have done a few electives, so I have some USCE and 3 LORs. Although, before going for the electives, I made the mistake of taking USMLE Step 1 and I didn't plan it properly. This meant that I took the exam when I was short of time and I hadn't prepared well enough. I gave it 6 months of irregular studying and not a lot of NBMEs. I know my mistakes and I know how I can improve on them.
Over the course of the last two years, I have involved myself in a lot of extra curricular social work.
My question is, if I take the Step 1 again, and I get an average score through out, what would my chances be of matching in a fairly low competition residency like Family Medicine? Also, are there chances of me matching into Internal Medicine? I know that is a little far fetched, but one can always hope. Or should I give up on USMLE altogether?

Report Abuse

* Re:Failed USMLE Step 1
  wishyouluck - 03/13/19 13:51

I typed a very detailed response and submitted but not sure why I don't see it here. Using this forum for the first time so not sure if there are any delays. Sorry.  
Report Abuse

wishyouluck - 03/13/19 15:32

Unfortunately, i do not have energy/memory to re-write everything i wrote so i will simply say this:

Retake Step 1 and above average will not improve your chances much. Get ABOVE average.
Step 2 CK -->Get above average on 1st attempt (if not done already)
Step 2 CS-->Pass on 1st attempt (if not done already).
Step 3 --> Pass with at least avg scores (this is to prove you are not a risk to a program).

Definitely increase USCE
Get STRONG LORs (not good but exceptional LORs)

You might have a marginal chance at low-end community programs for IM and FM. Start with Steps.

REMEMBER, most of the average IMGs that get matched are Caribbean graduates (from Big four) and so they will take away most of the interviews. Usually Non-US IMGs have stellar scores and unfortunately you don't have these.

Ultimately, if you do everything right from here and if you are lucky, you MIGHT get around 2 or 3 interviews (IF YOU ARE LUCKY)--so getting matched with only couple of interviews will mean that your INTERVIEW/COMMUNICATION SKILLS would have to be Excellent.

Good luck!

Report Abuse

parmesh495 - 03/16/19 14:25

You can have chance of matching.
Try to prepare well for the Step 1 exam and gain high scores in this attempt. Get good scores in Step 2 in the first attempt itself. Get continuous hands-on clinical expeirence to improve your CV and can gain US LORs. Also Pass Step 3 exam.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome