Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Should I continue? Please help
  dwt - 07/09/19 20:12

Hi all,

I am IMG graduated in 1992 (I know it's a long time ...).

I have practiced in the US as a nurse for the past 10 years (Don't know if it's considered as US clinical experience?)

I am a neutralized US citizen.

My step1 was 79.

I feel that my chance of matching is low regardless of the specialty so I am not sure if I should continue to prepare for step 2 or just forget it?

Please help guide. Do not want to waste time and money further if I don't really stand a chance.

Report Abuse

* Re:Should I continue? Please help
  shygal122 - 07/11/19 12:10

You DO stand a chance! Nursing IS clinical experience. I can almost guarantee you will match. You have no idea the people I know that are doing residency! Keep going!!  
Report Abuse

kavya@4a1 - 07/12/19 13:40

You will be having the chances for matching, you need to get high scores and need to gain hands-on rotations in the specialty you want to match and complete Step 3 exam as well for improving the chances.  
Report Abuse

disme - 07/12/19 23:08

Just wandering, since you have being practicing as a nurse I assume you would have progressed so why do you want to come back to residency?  
Report Abuse

dwt - 07/15/19 21:55

Thank you shygal122.

kavya@4a1: I just want to do family practice given I am already in my 50's that my energy and stamina may prevent me from doing more demanding work.

disme: I had to be a nurse because when I came to US, I didn't know I can work as a doctor until decade later when I met an IMG who told me the track. I want to resume my previous career as a doctor for financial reasons plus the level of autonomy is way higher than being a nurse.

Report Abuse

santhosh - 07/16/19 13:03

Dont give up you can have chance as you have lots of experience, but the thing is you need to have hands-on clinical experience as physicians for improving the chances and gain good socres  
Report Abuse

sshaikh - 07/17/19 00:55

why not you become a nurse practitioner they work like a doctor

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome