Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Old grad but I prematched. Ask me anything!
  pushing - 01/15/20 23:34

I prematched in November and am open to answer anyone's questions about interviews, matching, anything. Below is my story but u are welcome to skip it and get to asking questions.

My journey:

College was ridiculously easy for me but medschool was atrocious hard. I flunked a bunch of my classes and got kicked out. I transferred into another Caribbean medical school that was much easier. Got top NBME grades in my remaining classes.

So now i had two red flags under my belt: flunked my first med school and a transfer.

Remaining medschool was straight forward with no hiccups.

Step 1: 219
Step 2: 220s
Step 3: 210
CS pass
All first attempts
Needed a visa

Graduated 2014

Every year I applied, got interviews but never matched. 5 times! 5 years i did not match! I even went to these stupid family medicine conferences only to get one interview each time that never panned out.

What did I do differently? I got ruthless.

I reached out to every physician i knew in this planet. Called/texted/messaged/ even faxed every single one until they replied to me. Told them my research background. Asked them to just give me a chance to get in contact with another researcher who happen to work close to a residency program. I didnt need an introduction, just give me their contact information and let them know Iíll be reaching out to them.

It was actually a friend's friend's friend who agreed to let me work for them. When I got this first research position, I tried to guess what their expectations and try to always exceed them. Whatever they asked me to do, I made sure to complete it quicker than anticipated and put my 100% into. I fostered relationships and applied to even better research positions and got accepted to even better research positions. Finally I was researching with attending at a prematch program and made sure everyone knew who I was. Before I knew it, I got interviewed in November and was the first person they offered a prematch. I'm not saying you should take the same road I did. Everyone's situation and circumstances are different. There is no one path that will work for all. This is what worked for me.

Over the years, I had friends and relatives tell me to give up. Majority of my classmates who did not match after 5 years have made peace with the situation and moved on. But I was stubborn. There is always, always, always a way. Sometimes you need to be unreasonable to make things change.

TLDR: I struggled but I made it. Ask me any questions. I can't give away my identity or specific details of who I contacted or where I matched.

Report Abuse

* Re:Old grad but I prematched. Ask me anything!
  ask77777 - 01/16/20 12:21

Hi,@pushing
When do people pre match?As in How can we pre match?
What are they seeking actually?

Report Abuse

pushing - 01/16/20 20:56

@ask77777

Often you dont know if a program is prematch or not until they tell you (or its on the site).

"When do people pre match?"
Program specific. Prematches begin as soon as interviews begin. Some programs wait to interview everyone before offering a prematch, others offer spots the same day, others a few days later.

"As in How can we pre match?"
Process is no different than regular match process. You apply to all the programs you like on your ERAS application. ERAS wont tell you if a program is prematch or not. Only the program can reveal this information either at the interview or their website. The only difference is they give you an offer now rather than tell you u matched in March. They are not included in NRMP rank system.

"What are they seeking actually?"
Often, its high scorers. People in the +240s normally get prematch offers. Obviously i dont match this description.

Report Abuse

pokemonknight - 01/20/20 23:19

This is great, congratulation.

Which specialty did you match? and what type of research position should we start off with?
Any suggestion on how to get the first position even through connections?

Report Abuse

cluelessabtwholethin - 01/23/20 07:15

Congrats! I am a second year US-IMG med student that is clueless about this whole prematch! i would love to get in touch with someone to make a case report or something in those lines to be able to have that opportunity once I am ready to apply to programs. Is there something I can do in the meantime?

Thank you

Report Abuse

shrikanth4404 - 01/24/20 18:47

Indian IMG

Graduated 2017

Step 2CS - Pass, First attempt (June,2017)
Step 1 - 235 (March 2018)
Step 2 CK - 232 (March 2019)
Step 3 - 215 (Dec 2019)
LORs - 4 (all US)

Applied Sept 2019.

Not a single Interview. Not even wait-list.

So I have a few questions.

1. I know interview season is over, so no more IVs. What are my chances at SOAP? What can I do to improve those chances?
2. IF I dont get matched (I pray that I do), what should I do in the next one year? I have no research in my CV. My plan is to do some and get them published.
3. If I plan to do research, I want to do in the US, but I CANNOT spend a single buck anymore. You can understand why. So, what are my chances at getting a research position in the US which PAYS you?
4. If I do some research in India and get them published, meanwhile get some work experience as well, what are my chances in the next match? What else do you think I should do?

PS: I know it's an unimpressive application for an IMG, but I am determined and I'm sure I'll get through. Just need some help and guidance.

Thank you!

Report Abuse

sangimangi - 02/12/20 22:05

I'm 45 years old can I apply  
Report Abuse

oldgrad2020 - 02/14/20 12:55

shrikanth4404---- WHAT??? I cannot believe it!

Lots of people with less impressive resumes are matching...IMGs. Anyways, when I look back and think of what I should have done... I should have just joined PG while waiting to match... if you can get PG in your country ...
two things you will definitely be a stronger candidate here; also you can apply to fellowship first and then to residency...going backwards if you want to work in the US.

This is the advice I wish I had heard from someone!

BEST.

Report Abuse

raiimposs - 02/14/20 15:41

oldgrad2020

Please where do we look up fellowship positions for those who trained out of the US. I did residency in my home country and I cannot seem to find a single position which does not require some preliminary study in the US.

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Report Abuse

nickdiaz209 - 02/15/20 08:04

shrikanth4404

Im having a hard time beleiving you. With those stats you should have got some interviews... What speciality did you apply to and how many applications did you sent out? and are you ECFMG certified?

Report Abuse

pushing - 02/16/20 01:18

I didnt know a few people replied to this posting.

@shrikanth4404

1. Chances for SOAP? IMGs have low low chances. The system is rigged against IMGs because there are a lot of AMGs without match and the PDs want to give them a shot before considering an IMG. Not much you can do. Some programs open their residency positions late in the season and a lot of people dont know about it so they do not have many people apply. Like there was a new North Dakota residency program that opened up 2-3 years ago. It was sometime in March/April when people began applying. Again this word of mouth.

"2. IF I dont get matched (I pray that I do), what should I do in the next one year? I have no research in my CV. My plan is to do some and get them published."

>>>No research? The easiest thing you can do is write up review articles and get them published. At the same time apply to research positions. Ask around from family, friends, acquaintances, your own family doctor for any research position. Get started somewhere.

"3. If I plan to do research, I want to do in the US, but I CANNOT spend a single buck anymore. You can understand why. So, what are my chances at getting a research position in the US which PAYS you?"

>>>Unlikely. You mentioned earlier that you have zero research background. You have to first get your foot in the door before you can start demanding pay. Institutions generally dont want to pay someone they have to train. I recommend applying as a research coordinator to your local universities. I've heard they hire IMGs with zero experience.

"4. If I do some research in India and get them published, meanwhile get some work experience as well, what are my chances in the next match? What else do you think I should do?"

>>>Are you currently living in India? Having some research publications that can be found on pubmed is better than nothing. Having published papers helps but it will not be a game changer for interviews. The only reason you get papers published is so you can earn a research position which will hopefully lead to match in residency.

Closing thoughts: You have great scores, where are you applying? My personal experience, I have found family medicine doesnt care if you have research under your belt but IM programs seem to care. I never got asked any research questions during a FM interviews.

Suggestion: If i was in your position, i would apply to every observership position available. Observerships give you a chance to meet the faculty and become friends with a resident. Tell the residents in the observership you will do their research for them! They will love it! Many residents have a case study they have been itching to work on but never have the time. You come along and promise to give them first authorship while you do all the work. And suddenly you have a research project in your hands and an inside connection to the program. Observerships almost always guarantee an interview too.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome