Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* RE: Old IMG with 4 attempts in Step3
  uy - 06/30/20 12:17

I am an old IMG, my YOG is 2001. Unfortunately I had 4 attempts in Step 3 but it has been 14 years (I passed my Step 3 in March of 2006) since I finished all my Steps (USMLE step 1, 2 (CK and CS) and Step 3).

Rest of my steps (Step1, 2 (CS and CK)) all in first attempt.

I did many observerships initially in IM (including case reports) but later focused on Pathology. In Path, I had observerships as well as research publications. Multiple times, I have tried for match but got few interviews and unfortunately ended up unsuccessful.

Have a lot of experience in basic science research >10 years in the best US institution but my PI (supervisor) is not helpful in that regard at all. Discussing my goals of getting residency, means that losing a job (of course, running a family is number 1 priority at this point in time). I have lot of publications and I am permanent resident.

What should I do? I really appreciate some wise suggestions.

Report Abuse

* Re:RE: Old IMG with 4 attempts in Step3
  huse12 - 06/30/20 14:42

Continue working in research field. Try to move up in your career. Meanwhile keep on applying too as plan b. You never know what is next for you  
Report Abuse

uy - 06/30/20 16:32

I am still working in my research field and building up my CV. One of main argument and feedback from this year's interview experience "You are too passionate about research". It might be a negative comment for me from the residency standpoint..  
Report Abuse

rometo2019 - 06/30/20 17:03

In that case you have to do some observership also but you said u did.
Its strange, usually tgey support research for pathology

Report Abuse

uy - 06/30/20 17:16

In pathology, one needs to have at least 8-9 interviews to be on the safe side unless one is very confident that program will take him. Seats are very less, at max 3-4 spots even in university programs. Most of programs have 2-3 spots and they interview around 70-80 people for 3 spots.

Report Abuse

rometo2019 - 06/30/20 17:27

Yea. I know. People say that patho is less competitive but I think it is also very competitive bcoz you have less spots. But with 10 years experience they shud rank you higher. May be year of graduation is issue in your case because I think step 3 attempts doesnot matter.
Did you do patho rotations in hospital? How many interviews u had this eyar?
I am also working in research for 3 years and applied patho and had 4 interviews but did not match. I am also Us citizen but IMG.

Report Abuse

rometo2019 - 06/30/20 17:33

In my case, i had no patho rotations. I had internal med and family med rotations so for patho i had only research experience  
Report Abuse

uy - 06/30/20 17:34

Yes I did three rotations in pathology (one from Back home) and two in USA. I got one interview but with connection (to be honest). My interview went really well and I was very hopeful (I became too optimistic). Even I am well versed with all microscopic based techniques, fibrosis, second hormonic imaging, confocal laser microscopy, IHC, frozen sections etc etc. I don't know simply that what else I should do???  
Report Abuse

uy - 06/30/20 17:36

I am sure with some pathology observerships, you would be able to secure 8-9 interviews.

Report Abuse

rometo2019 - 06/30/20 17:38

Yes I also do IHC, confocal microscope, flow cyto and other research techniques. I think You should just reapply this year. Hopefully this year match may favor green card and citizens  
Report Abuse

rometo2019 - 06/30/20 17:40

Because of covid19 no rotations are allowed at any hospital right now in new york as I am in Ny. But I will still apply and try my luck  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome