Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No point doing IM if u r not SURE of fellowship - anamika1
cos FP has 3 times patient load compared to IM.....so as primary care u make huge bucks in FP....
I don't think. Both IM and FP will have same patient load and bucks. It all depends on the doctor's office.
This is really good post. I am also thinking over this point.

I really like IM and i Have this huge dream of doing a fellowship in rhuematology.....but on the same token i dont want to end up with no residency either and i think i like FP as well, as a second choice.

Infact i have a question.....and i hope u guys can give me ur thoughts on this.......

If i have the option to choose between a reallyyy Good FP program and a community IM prog what should i choose??????

I intend to go into private practics one day,and most time I think FM will be better.But I cant stand the OB part(apologies to My good friends Shikhag and Aphro)

But generally I think I am interested in Nephrology or gasteroenterology rule out endocrinology

I know harlem has Nephrology fellowshp what about Gastroenterology,do their fellows rotate with columbia University,yes even their residents
I totally agree with the poster.... as with fp you are trained to do more procedures and in the practice its procedure by which you earn alot.... plus now fp has fellowship in critical care and hospitalist too so if you are not sure about your chances of getting into fellowship in IM than it fp is more attractive in my opinion....... comments are welcome
I prefer reallyyy good FP program than a community IM prog.
I think so,but if you really want IM,go for it.

FM is quiet different from IM,no comparison at all
I dont think that fp is totally different from Im...... as with fp you do take care of im patient in your office as well in hospital....... with you have addition of peds and gyn/obs... and as the gap is closing between the salary of both fp and im i think fp is the way to go ....but only if you dont do fellowship.... the advantage of IM is that you can do fellowship but its a big but if you do.......fellowship.... well decision is yours after all .......

that my opinion on this matter and correct me if i am wrong
You see the OB,gyne,procedure,surgery stuff make alot of difference.if you dont want to do those,then how can you compare IM and FM.Some people are in IM to avoid peds,but FP position you for peds contact
well kita with those thing you got much more patient population and hence more busy proactice and that leads you to earn more money......if that is your primary objective...otherwise i totally agree with you if you want to avoid these patient population than its ok to do IM

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »