Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
god helped me ... - monocyte
i have been in this forum for an yr ..
i got my score yest it was a 99/240. well this something i had stopped hopping for quite some time in my preparation though i always wanted it ..as every one else. i feel a little awkward to write this post , but i think i benefited a lot frm experiences of other ..so ..

just want to thank all my Family ,partners( saleha for always being there, kshtij for making me sit in the exam , deepti who told me that i can do it even without sleeping in night , nazi , nandita, ashfeen , samina, chetan ,nirmal who tough me a lot and cleared my basics and sri ) and my well wishers including nihit ,mansu (who guided me when i was crazy) for just being there and praying for me .. and my hubby for being a support.
well i am a old graduate of 2004 , i had a long gap of around 4 yrs after which i picked up the books ..in 2008 end of feb .preparation was v haphazard but let me summarize ..

books :
1.all kaplan 2008
2.FA
3.uw
4.kaplan q bank
5.kaplan physioq bank
6.high yeild molecular bio ..just 2 days before exam just skimmed thru it
7.road map to neuro anat
8. kaplan lectures
9.goljan lectures and rapid review

started with behave lectures a week ( lectures r amazing )
then goljan r/r 1 month first reading kept on and on hearing goljan lecure do not know how many times
immunology + micro 15 days with lectures
pharm + lecures 10 days( must do lectures)
anat +lectures 1 week
biochem app 2 weeks + lectures
physio + lecures 3 weeks

well i had also started with uw . but after my first revision i gave nbme1 = 440
then i went v haphazard , started with kaplan q bank since i wanted to give exam in aug
but my scores were just in 54 to 56% .

then started with sec revision of kaplan which took a month
and gave nbme 2 500
15 days i gave nbme 3 which shocked me with 430
motivation was rock bottom and i had left for the dream of a 99 and re focused on just getting a 90 ,
exam was on 31 oct so i went berserk that i cannot do it since on 17 oct nbme 4 was just 450
i expended 675 dollars and postponed my exam ..as mansu advised that with these scores i might just be in early 80 also he advised that i had to understand why i am doing q wrong , understand the concept go back to books and re read the concept ..in that way i will do better.
started reading micro and phsyio cover to cover... my weakest subjects
read fa , did q immediately all the q frm uw , kaplan did the complete physio q bank helped a lot
re did neuro , thanks to deepti who thought me that .. brain stem in one whole day ..

gave nbme 5 510 in nov
u w ass 580 with a week of each other
still i thought it was a fluke

scheduled exam in dec and well then the blow occured
kap simulated 66 % , my score went down in block5 and 6 so i had no stamina to sit for 8 hrs

nbme6 480

started doing 7 hrs exam daily for a week to build my stamina and redid all the nbme
redid all the subjects , took kaplan q bank and did that again now scores were in between 79% to68%

finally took exam on 6 feb in the last couple of days just did fa in morning, goljan in evening
kept on revising my weak subjects micro , biochem ,neuro
last subject i revised was pharm ..big help

exam .. i was not able to sleep at all at night took cough syrup ut still no sleep .morning just prayed saw the tutorial and went .. before the exam called deepti who told me that exam is doable,they will give a lot of hints and i will remember all what i have read ..all were true ..
took aspirin . 1 sip of water .1 bite of sandwich .started ..
took the tutorial to check the audio output
1st block = though that i should not have taken so long to give the exam ,doable similar to uw
took break , wash room , washed face ,had granula bar cont the same after every block
i felt the same about all the blocks and took break in all of them, longest break was before 5 block . went out of the center , soaked the sun , took aspirin again prayed and gave the rest of the blocks taking break after every block , i thought that i was doing uw rather than the most imp exam of my life for which i had worked my butt out ..

after the exam i was afraid to think any thing since i thought that people who find exam easy get less score ..so i just prayed that i get a score in 90 ..but i got my score yest and it was a big surprise , all my study partners were surprised as was i ...

so i believe that 99= a lot of hard work +honesty + prayers and believe in god

i did not leave any stone unturned but i was so under confident because i thought i was not a 99 material because score of nbme do not lie ..and did not want false hopes . but well wht ever the forum people tell is all true ..
exam is like uw and nbme , kaplan is enough. forum keeps u in touch with the kind of q u get in the exam .

if i could be glad to answer any q any one has ..
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!!
You deserve this Smile
Pls write ur email if u dont mind. Thank you.
wow I am impressed. not just with the scores...but more with ur effort and determination! All the best for future.. your experience gave me lots of motivation. Thanx for that Smile
my email id .... drmonocyte
congrats! monocyte - now its time to become macrophage and eat up Step 2!
did you do the UW Qbank? - you mentioned that exam looked like "uw" did not know if that meant Qb or the SA. thanks in advance.
congrats..n ggod luck for next...
i want to buy kaplan q bank...can u pls tell me that it gives u the same options as u world to do in timed/untimed/tutor mode...n can u solve q's subject wise?
thanks everyone ..
jam .. i did UW q bank and the assessment too
asimi.. yes kaplan q bank .gives u same options too of tutor mode , timed mode
thanks a lot for prompt reply...Smile
*****Big Congrats *****

U really deserve it monocyte - "A job very well done"

And GL in future and also I would like to talk to u if u don't mind PLZ check ur email....Smile

Thanks
heartiest congratulations.ur persistence deserves this score.all the best for rest of steps.
what did u do when u were practicing for 7hrs.uw,kaplan q bank or nbme.
how many hrs u used to study a day.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »