USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: obesity - sammy06
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
a sedentry man who sits most of the time in front of the desk
is developing increasing girdth around his waistline
his obesity is caused by
1.hyperplasia
2. hypertrophy
3.metaplasia
4. anaplasia
5. dysplasia
hypertrophy???
The causes of overweight are multiple and varied. Independent of the cause, however, the effect is an excess of trigylceride or fat. This excess fat is stored in fat cells distributed throughout the body. The initial response to weight gain is to increase the size of fat cells. They do so in a manner similar to a balloon expanding to accommodate increase in air or water. As weight gain continues, fat cells reach their limit in capacity for storing fat. At this point, new fat cells are formed.

The degree of overweight at which new fat cells are formed is not exactly known, but it is estimated to be approximately 50 - 60% above ideal weight. Studies which have examined fat cell size across a wide range of body weights indicate that individuals with mild obesity have increased fat cell size called HYPERTROPHIC OBESITY. Moderate obesity is characterised by both increased size and an increase number of cells. Severe obesity results in no further increase in size, but a marked increase in number - known as HYPERPLASTIC OBESITY.

adult onset obeisty-hypertrophy
childhood onset-hyperplasia
good sao
thanks sammy06, I learned another concept related to age
hypertrophy.

thanks sao v good explanation.can i ask u when do u have ur exam?r u doing kap q bank?
saan, i am not decided yet for the exam, i am doing kaplan qbank(excellent), and many others sources of MCQs, of course the forum.
I have step1 phobia, thinking of step2( i feel less stess, bcoz old graduted maybe) b4 step1.
Good luck
Brthers/Sisters

Pray for me.
May God Help all.
sao
when is ur test
sammy, still working on MCQS to boost score.
Not decided yet about date.
thanks sao

i m doing q bank online too.would u pls tell me how r u doing wether subjectwise or mix?
Pages: 1 2