USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Self assessments -
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Majeed

Dear Colleagues,
Here are some points from Kaplan's news letter, I want to share with folks on this forum.
When we are preparing for the USMLE, nothing helps students feel better and gain confidence than getting a good score on practice questions. If you do 100 questions and get 80% correct, it makes your whole week. If you do 100 questions and get 50% correct, you feel panic setting in and begin to doubt everything that you are doing. Here again, if you are not careful, you will do things to gain the good feeling at the expense of good exam preparation. You will do questions on material you have just reviewed, you will do them one at a time and give yourself time to think about each one, you will redo questions that you have done previously or you will mentally give yourself credit for getting the question right when you were going to pick the right answer, but at the last minute changed your mind. All of these things will inflate your score, but do not give the dose of reality that exam preparation demands. Make practice hard. Do only fresh questions you have not seen before, mix up the subjects, and do your questions in clusters and under a tight time limit. To prepare for the exam, simulate the exam. A hard time doing questions now will give you an easier time on the real exam where your score really counts.
When confronted by a multiple choice question, most people naturally focus on the answer choices. The choices (A, B, C, D, E...) seem to be the solution, and thus, the way out of the question. In fact, the answer to the question is to be found in the case material presented in the question stem. Reading and thoroughly processing what you read in the stem will lead you to the correct answer. The options let you make a choice, but the question stem tells you what the right choice should be. Racing to the options is, once again, an attempt to avoid pain. Questions are aversive; we do not like them. If you are not careful, you will jump to the offered choices as soon as you can to get rid of the discomfort of the question as fast as you can. And you will get the question wrong. Most of your time spent on a question should be spent reading and thinking about the question. Spend as little time on the presented options as possible. If you learn to tolerate the pain of the question, you will buy yourself the time you need to pick, not just any answer, but the BEST answer.

Look at your own study and exam behavior and make an honest assessment. Decide if what you are doing is to help yourself feel good, or to prepare you the best way possible for your exam. Make the choices that lead to success, even if they seem uncomfortable in the short term. When your envelope with your exam score comes, you'll be glad that you did.
Kindest regards,
Wishing luck to self and other strugglers,
Majeed.

Examtaker

These are truly inspiring words as I was going thru a low as I took a simulated test and didn't do well today and my exam is next week
Majeed

Dear Examtaker,
I am happy that I could boost your positive energy at this crucial time.
Regards,
Majeed.
abrar

Wish I had followed this before.
There is no correlation between these scores and exam scores. These simulated exams only point on your weak areas and not on your being ready for the exams.
My exam was very tough compared to Q-bank ,not happy with my performance.
Guys please pray for me.
And don't study thinking that its an easy exams just be prepared for the worst
David

I have never used kaplan q bank believe me 5 days before my exams one of my friends told me to go through few qbank qs he had in word format believe me my score in one test was just 33 ,then he gave me simulated Cd I was shocked my score was Just 28 /50in one block .Then I did usmle relaeased items you wont believe I could get 43-45 Qs in all three block .I believe only usmle released items simulate the real exam and on real test my scores were 99 So guys I do agree with abrar that most of the publishers whio claim that there test material simulates real test are wrong .Just rely on usmle released items Good lock
ankur

hi abrar
u seem to have done the q bank.did you do the online version?What was your total score and how much of the q bank did u do?I feel that if u do atleast 75% of a resourse and then try to project your score with regard to the actual exam.it is really useful.I am taking the exam mid nov.I would like to use your q bank and actual score to project my own.
good luck for your score.
ankur

hi abrar
u seem to have done the q bank.did you do the online version?What was your total score and how much of the q bank did u do?I feel that if u do atleast 75% of a resourse and then try to project your score with regard to the actual exam.it is really useful.I am taking the exam mid nov.I would like to use your q bank and actual score to project my own.
good luck for your score.
Samira

Hi David
could you please tell me where I can find the USMLE released questions? Is it on the CD that they posted ?
Thanx
abrar

Hi Ankur,
I had taken the online version for a month and scored 68% overall. My lowest score was Biostatistics and Molecular biology,tried to improve it. I finished the whole Q-bank in 25 days.
Go through First Aid too. I had many one liners and many graphs.
And remain calm during the exam I think I freaked out.
Hope this helps you.
Best of luck and pray for me.
David

yes samira they are on cd you have got
Pages: 1 2