USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: kill step 1 -
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
sde

hello friends
this is ur good old friend once again, i am 35, passed out of med school 1993, since then roaming around and never flipped a page. now i have two months vacation. can i finish step 1 in two months, what is the strategy. what are the tricks of the trade.
is there any formula to pass step 1 in just two months?
ds
matoka

sde,
Unfortunately, there are no tricks, no shortcuts to pass the USMLE exams. The key of the succeess is labour, labour and again labour until one goes crazy, a self confidence, strong determination and stamina.
How solid is your background ? You mentioned above that you had never flipped a page since you graduated from your medical school in 1993, isn't it ? If so, how do you expect to " kill " your step 1 exam and pass it from your first attempt in only two months ? No way, unless you're a genius.
One again: it's totally unrealistic for you to believe that you will pass step 1 in only two months. It's not possible, unless you are a genius !
You're an old IMG and plenty of new information has shown up meanwhile, you've never heard before.Besides you've been trained in a totally different system in your country of birth. How is your level of English ? How proficient are you in English ? The language does count a great deal to pass such exams.
I think you should plan to study at least six months, to take it seriousely and then to take the exam. But even you study for six months, do not expect to pass it from your first attempt.
It's up to you what kind of choice you are to make, but just make a rationale one. Andt don't forget that there are no magical formulas to pass such an exam. Don't fool yourself.
Whenever your choice is, I wish you good luck.
Matoka
qbano

just 2 months? impossible, makota is right, but let me tell you my friend, those 6 months that makota is talking about, is without a full time job, as i can see you have "two months" vacation, so you are working, so, i will say that you will need about a year, may be less if you have a serious commitment. Or if you are able afer 5 pm( i guessing that you work from 8 to 5, monday to friday) study 5 hours and then 8 hours saturday and sunday, may be you will be ready anytime beetwen 6 to 9 months, i dont know if you are marriage and have children, but you will need a lot of support, too.

where are you from?

and as makota said there are a lot of new stuff too, genetics, immuno, etc. well bad news, just and study and let your but..
in the chair
Enigma

I just got my score report, and got a 77. I am thrilled that I passed which I wasn't so sure about initially. But along with the relief I am also worried about the low score. Would residencies prefer to see a 77 score passing on the first try or would they prefer a little higher score for someone on the second try? Or are both scenarios just as bad for them?
Also, don't alot of programs have cutoffs of 80. I do plan to check up on this but what have you all heard? I guess higher step 2 and/or step 3 scores plus some usce with reco. letters will improve my chances or am I in a hole that will be difficult to climb out of? My chances might still be there with the less competitive programs, right? Anyone with thoughts will be greatly appreciated..

All thanks to God for answering my prayers!!!
dralex

From the other hand, what were you doing all these years after the medical school? I mean, were you or are you a doctor? Cause i think that matters also. I've heard from one person here on this forum, who graduated in 98 (i think) and then was doing residency in cardio surgery...so she studied for 1.5 month using some blue prints, FA and QBank....and she scored above 90!!!! So, her position was to stady really hard for a SHORT period of time, so u don't forget stuff.I think it does make sense. Well i started my preparation probably a year ago...but i never studied consistently....so it wasn't 1 year non-stop...but i should say that now....i have to review all the stuff that i've read 7 month ago...it is hard to keep all these stuff in your head through this period of time. So, i think the best thing for you is - take test (qbank or simulated....or even NBME), well it will cast you some money, but it will give you a picture of where you are at right now... so you will get a message how should you study. I think that the best duration od preparation should not exceed 3 month...BUT that should be a good 3 month....with total and complete dedication with a lot of testiong and answering questions.
Hope that helps.