USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: how do - sampangi04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
u differentite tangentiality from loose associations?
thanx
Tangentiality is going "around" the point.
Loose associations got "nothing" to do with the point.
nope .
but i dunno how to differentiate
thanx
Tangentiality is a disturbance in the associative thought process in which one tends to digress readily from one topic under discussion to other topics that arise through association.

Loose associations: is an aspect of thought disorder wherein the patient has difficulty sticking to one topic and drifts off on a train of associations evoked by an idea from the past.

loose associations means u r jumping from one idea to other without any connection.eg.i m reading jillu question and obama is better than clinton but britney will be okay,what is step 2 ck.
Tangenitality:we r discussing psychiatry but let me tell one of my school experience abut this.i was in school and i was attnding the physician,it was really nice to have such a good schol.i like medicine.i had good score on mcat .i was with my freinds.
do u get the idea?///// . i never came back to your quetion.thats tangentiality
FLAT AFFECT:while reading this explantion if u dont laugh .i as a pyschiatrist will think as flat affect

no idea abut bizzare ideation:i think it is it is wiered behaviour,,,like what i m having now
just kidding

loose associations=Shift of idea from one subject to another in an unrelated way.e.g talking about one topic and suddenly shift to another which was not related to previous one.The patient is answering q about his health and suddenly start talking about cricket match.

tangentiality=Patient will start talking about a topic and take conversation to far away to other point but not suddenly ,the association wil be there.like talking about his health and wil start talking about his sisters health and her recent abortion.

flat on inappropriate affect=when mood is not appropriate or not matching with the topic.
when there is no expressions at all that wil be flat affect.
when e.g smiling while mentioning very serious subject or rather sad subject like death of parent etc,it is inappropriate affect.(emotions are out of harmony with idea or reality)
Report Abuse

bizzare ideations=is unusual or odd ideation.magical thinking comes under it.like pt thinks that his thoughts affect the events.(like knocking on wood can prevent somthing bad from happening)
Report Abuse

thank u guys u r all great ..!!!!!!!!!
then how do u differentiate tangentiality from flight of idea.
thanx