USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: had first Afib with score 99/250 - chris783
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This forum has been a great help.

I gave my exam on the 16th of June and got the score on July 15th with everyone else.

I have taken a long time to post because I had been wrapped up with the step 2 preparation. My studying had been quite erratic. I took a Kaplan course in September. Then throughout the cold winter, I was working on my thesis so I could graduate from med school. From January to February, I reread the Kaplan books made notes and did Kaplan qbank with a cumulative 68%. In the month of March, I did USMLE world with a cumulative 70%.

Then, sometime around March, I had my application for step one canceled because of translation errors of credentials. That took two months to fix, and they finally granted me my permit at the end of April. By then, I decided not to wait longer and took the second Kaplan CK course until the end of May.

Because of the erraticism of my schedule, I took my first NBME4 1.5 months before the test and got a score of 520. I reviewed everything after the CK course ended up to the exam date. I did two offline tests and averaged around 167-175 out of 200 on NBME3 and NBME1. About 3 days before the exam, I did NBME6 and got a 640. The predicted score was off by 3-4 points.

I used First Aid also but more for a place to write answers from the qbank since it was from 2006. I also want to thank zolpidem for converting my night study schedule into a day schedule.

C'est tout.
congrats on such a good score? can u tell me which kaplan course u took? Was it helpful?
I took the 14-week course for a really good discount that was even cheaper than the combined deluxe deal that they offer (godparents' kids worked for Kaplan). It was very helpful, especially coming from a medical school that did not emphasize the importance of the basic sciences. I usually read that stuff on my own anyways, but the course definitely helped. I think, more importantly, I was able to find a great support group.

Oh, right. Don't sit at your desk all day, guys! I did that at first, and I ended up gaining 5 lbs. During the spring study, I did, at least, 30 minutes of cardio 3 times a week, played soccer with my dad the alternating days, and roughhoused with my dog all the time. Also, be conscientious of what you eat. You have more energy, and you prevent further unhappiness throughout the USMLE prep-- I lost that extra baggage and an additional 5 lbs . It sounds so simple, but it's important.

My exam experience was interesting. The day before, I had a hornet sting my index finger, yes, the clicking finger; so it was nicely swollen and painful. I had also fallen on my a$$ from soccer earlier; consequently, the back was also sore during the 8 hours of sitting. On top of that, I was just starting my, err, period; and so, I was very tired but pain-free thanks to ibuprofen. So avoid physiologic cycles, venomous insects, and wet grass before the test date!
hi chris,,,congragulations,,,,,u did it dude,,,,can u please tellme how u got a kaplan course ate a reduced rate,,? which city u did the course? did u get kapaln videos from them too? please email me or write here,,ur help will be highly apprecaited dear,,,,,,good luck for ur other steps,,,take care gg.mg19
hi congrat !!!!!!!!!1
did you have slides on your exam
hi congrat again!!!!!!!!!!
did you know what it means?
SONIC HEDGEHOG GENE
Wnt 7 gene
FGF GENE
HOMEOBOX GENE
PLEASE GIVE EXPLANATIONS

GGmg

I think it's just a matter of negotiating, nothing more. I think the company is always willing to strike a deal up to a certain point because they're always advertising discounts. Maybe you ask about a Match Price Guarantee, like what Best Buy offers. My family no longer works for Kaplan-- now it's just the boyfriend of one of the kids. Regardless, I think you should at least try.

Doctor100

I did have slides and there will always be slides, etc. Some of them were helpful but I solidified my answers on the vignette. About those funny genes you listed, I only know of homeobox genes. Stick to the idea of gene regulation and receptors and such... hormones, creb, zinc fingers, etc. Also, review the genes for high-yield diseases like APC or CFTR and their corresponding chromosomes.
thanks and good luck
hi again
where can i learn about slides
dvd, kaplan book?
when you say slides... i'm guessing you mean the pictures for histology or gross anatomy...

i honestly cannot remember any specific slides but i did familiarize myself with the ones from first aid, kaplan qbank and usmle world

they demonstrated a gram stain or two but they can be easily identified, especially with help from the vignette.

there was not a particular picture that i thought to myself, my goodness, this came exactly from the book or question so and so. nothing like that... i relied on the vignette to direct myself appropriately. this area was not my strong suit, but i ended up with a sacred star, so i assume that what i did was enough.
Pages: 1 2 3