USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: have i made a mistake?? - ganong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just applied to internal medicine as i can not see myself as someone other than an internist.My scores are 91/81/cs 2 2 uslors ,5 months observership,5 months research....havent got any interviews....have I made a mistake in not applying to other specialities??i see people applied to family medicine and peds getting ivs??
Its always wise to keep FM/psych/peds in backup. However apply now if you can and let the programs know about your application, try to use contacts who can pull your file up.
Fp is less competetiive why do not u try to apply now for some more!
murmur how do you do that --use contacts--blah blah-i dont think that works. ganong-who is getting peds interview?save your time energy and money
i don't think i can convince pd's of family medicine and pediatrics.....i cant convince myself not to talk of program directors..that was the reason i didn't apply.....just keeping my fingers crossed for Internal Medicine.
@FALLENANGEL: if you know somebody like faculty or even chief resident in program and if you fit well in the criteria than there is no doubt they can pull you an interview. merit+contacts is the very important in US.
i really wish that was true murmur!i have both and also the rejection.through my experience externship/observership/uslor /contacts dont matter.i cannot bank on these anymore .merit was never and will never be a criteria for residency in the us--that one you will have to take back
hi,
i have applied in peds only till now, as i want this speciality. but i have not received any IV yet Sad applied to 50 programs and got 5 rej !! my creds are 92 (2)/83(1)/pass(1)/85(1)/9 mnths observership/2 USLORs/2006 grad/need visa . ongoing research exp which i got after submitting caf. shud i e-mail the progs with this update ?
i am thinking to apply in few FM porgs now, but almost all want hands on exp. how do i select the FM progs which are sending invites to IMG ?
Mammamia
dont be disheartened yet. you have great credentials. You've applied to abt 50 programs....so I would wait for some more time before embarking on new projects.
When you are convinced that you need to apply for FM though, begin your search from this forum. its the best place to prepare your ground work to form a list of IMG friendly FM programs.
contacts v imp....of course you must fit into score criteria...
Pages: 1 2