USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Please no google ! - okt3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A 55-year-old male nonsmoker with multiple myeloma refractory to chemotherapy was admitted to the hospital for autologous stem-cell transplantation. On completion of the 3-day infusion of a keratinocyte growth factor analog before transplantation, an asymptomatic, white, adherent plaque developed, coating the tongue. Culture revealed normal oral flora, without candida.

See the picture below

http://i35.tinypic.com/1zf087m.gif

Which one of the following medications is most likely to be responsible for this finding?

1. Amiodarone

2. Cinacalcet

3. Lithium

4. Palifermin

5. Trastuzumab
no google..lol..okz okt3

lemme guess

1&3 not an analog of keratinocyte growth factor

5 trastuzumab came across this in step 1 immunology..its an monoclonal antibody

left wit 2 & 4 will go for 2..my guesses usually go wrong..lol
I love your honestySmile
dr strider, only YOU can google now to check your answerSmile
since we are just 2 here, I will post the answer for you

The correct answer is

4. Palifermin

Palifermin, a recombinant keratinocyte growth factor, is used for the prevention of oral mucosal injury induced by cytotoxic therapy in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation. Palifermin stimulates the proliferation and differentiation of epithelial cells. The white tongue is commonly observed in patients treated with palifermin and most likely reflects transient, protective mucosal thickening.

Thanks for trying.

here is the source, you can have fun with the rest

http://image-challenge.nejm.org/?ci=10152009#05072009
hey thanks okt3..my guess is wrong again

just saw it on wiki..Palifermin costs approximately 5,000 Euros per treatment for a 70 kg patient.
omg!that's a large sum..i wish i never get a BMT ;P
good site
now m one among the correct response out of 57602 total responses..Smile
your approach is good, 50/50, I did the same mistake because never hear about palifermin and missed so I posted here just FYI(not usmle) but general CKSmile
thank you guys for interesting discussion
i really like ur posts okt3,
u wont remember me i,m a silent member < u helped me in some qs when i was doing step1 about 8 months ago
i remember ur answer for my qs about receptors for HCL secretions really helpped me alot
Thank you again
Pages: 1 2