USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: dmc - okt3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Charlotte, a 54-year-old married female, has insulindependent diabetes and has been with you for her care for the last 7 years. In the last year she has begun to manifest some of the complications of chronic hyperglycemia, with retinopathy and neuropathy. Yet to your great frustration, Charlotte continues to resist the recommended lifestyle changes required to effectively manage her diabetes.
She is a casual, friendly woman known as the œcandy lady in her neighborhood, where she lives with her husband of 30 years. She loves children and volunteers at the local elementary school, where she is well known for a quick smile, a reassuring hug, and a piece of candy in her large pockets. In fact, she is noted during most of her appointments to be munching on M&M™s”her favorite candy. She has had dietary consults and many education-oriented doctor appointments but says, œI know I shouldn™t eat the way I do, but I just don™t have the heart to change who I am, even if it does help my eyes and legs. Who I am is about what I eat and do.
You wonder about Charlene™s capacity for decision making, given her frank noncompliance with care, even in the setting of severe complications from her diabetes.
Based on the necessary requirements for decision-making capacity, what is the MOST relevant piece of information in Charlotte™s provided account that suggests that her capacity is intact?

A) Therapeutic alliance with you despite noncompliance with treatment recommendations.

B) Integration into community relationships, including a stable marriage and responsibilities in the elementary school.

C) Expression of placing perceived self-identity as a higher priority than controlled diabetes and its complications.

D) Awareness that her dietary choices are associated with symptoms of eye disease and neuropathy.

E) Flagrant disregard for medical recommendations by eating candy while at her appointment.
D.
yes D
Charlotte continues to experience a slow decline over time but remains in good spirits despite the complications of her uncontrolled diabetes. She continues to follow up with you regularly. One day her husband brings her to the emergency department. He had found her in the bathroom, unconscious, and called an ambulance.
She has had a stroke and remains unresponsive, on ventilation, in the ICU. Her prognosis is poor.
After discussion with the husband, you decide to discontinue ventilation. Charlotte dies.

2-Which case is typically cited as a legal precedent for withdrawing a medical intervention, resulting in death from the underlying disease?

A) Cruzan.

B) Tarasoff.

C) M™Naghten.

D) Quinlan.

E) Ashcroft.

3)-Which of the following is TRUE about the role of law in life-sustaining interventions?

A) Courts must be involved in decisions regarding incompetent patients.

B) Life-sustaining treatment may be withheld only if patients are terminally ill or permanently unconscious.

C) Physicians may easily face criminal charges for providing appropriate palliative care.

D) The most prudent legal advice is to continue treatment in medically futile cases.

E) The law presents few barriers to physicians withholding life-sustaining interventions
BTW, try again the first qs, not D.
uh..soo hard
?A
?D
?A
2. dunno
3. E?
@sam, 2 is easiest, check kaplan psych pg 157
oh...i didnt do psych yet :/
check pg157, you will always remember Charlotte when u get thereSmile
Pages: 1 2 3 4