USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: NBME sobstitutive therapy side effects - silvy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
12. A 52-year-old woman comes to the physician because of decreased libido; this symptom began 8 months ago, after she underwent a total abdominal hysterectomy and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy for leiomyomata uteri and menorrhagia. She has been taking hormone replacement therapy with conjugated estrogen since the operation. Examination shows a moist, rugated vagina. Which of the following is the most likely cause of these findings?

A
) Decreased androgens

B
) Decreased estrogen

C
) Decreased follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)

D
) Decreased luteinizing hormone (LH)

E
) Decreased progesterone

F
) Decreased prolactin

G
) Increased androgens

H
) Increased estrogen

I
) Increased FSH

J
) Increased LH

K
) Increased progesterone

L
) Increased prolactin
Decreased progesterone???
just a guess .. no clue
AAA
mmh I thought it was B
Decreased libido is thought to be due to lowered levels of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone present in your body during menopause.

Each of these hormones has a specific role to play in making you experience sexual desire. Estrogen helps you to feel heightened sensitivity during sexual intercourse. Progesterone keeps your libido up. Testosterone, a male sex hormone, boosts sexual desire and lubricates your vagina. When these hormones drop, so does your overall desire for sexual intercourse.
inal Dryness
Vaginal dryness, a common complaint of menopausal and perimenopausal women, can make your vagina too delicate to handle penetration. Declining estrogen levels prevent increased blood flow from traveling to your pelvis. So I think that the best answer should be: A.
i still think is estrongen deficiency (B)... postmenopausal dryness is treated with estrogens .. i donno
side effect of progesterone Tx is decreased libido.