USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Archer step 3 question bank, need help with answer - sowndarya
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
archer review has many nice questions here www.usmlestep3blog.com
they have given answers with explanation only to some of them. I dont know if they plan to post answers later but i got a lot of these links to my e-mail. The qs are great but some are very tricky. can any one discuss these plzzz. It will help all of us here.
i subscribed to archer but i did not get the links in my e-mail???
Thanks for posting. The questions are very good and very similar to step 3 NBME. I answered some. Not sure if i am right. Correct me if you know the correct ones.
i am debating on the answers for q37 - is it acyclovir or penciclovir?
q36 - is it imiquimod or TCA?
q35 is tricky but i am going with darkfield micro
q29 - a or c?
q27 - refer to ethics committee?
q8 - b or d?

sowndarya, what you think of these answers
please help and post ur reason why the answer is correct. Thank you
what is the answer? is it ok with past patient? no active relation?

You are a busy pediatrician in the city. 6 year old John has been your patient for past 3 years. John™s mother Mary brings him to your office for a recent upper respiratory infection. You treat John appropriately but he gets to be admitted to the hospital for serious pneumonia. You continue to treat John at the hospital. One evening Marissa calls you and requests that you go out for dinner with her because she is feeling so alone and has been getting quite attached to you. Which of the following is most appropriate statement?

A) You can go out with Mary because she is not your patient and you have never treated her in the past
B) You may want to avoid going out with her because she might cling to you later on
C) You should avoid relationship with her because there is potential for adverse effects on professional judgment and family member behavior concerning the patient™s health.
D) You should consult your colleague to take his advise on this issue
confused with this one also. Please answer

A 76 year old debilitated man with history of advanced dementia lives in an extended care facility. He has a history of recurrent Urinary tract infections which develop every six months with mild fever, frequency of micturition and urinary incontinence. In the past, his urine cultures revealed E.coli > 100,000 colonies on several occassions. He has no indwelling Foley catheter and he is only placed on diapers. His vital signs are temperature of 98.6, HR 88, RR 18 and a BP of 130/84. A nurse practioneer has routinely ordered a urinalysis which revealed positive leucoesterase and nitrite. This was followed by a urine culture that revealed 100,000 colonies of E.coli. The nurse is concerned about this finding and calls you for appropriate management.
What is the appropriate treatment?

A. Cystoscopy and Intra-venos pyelogram
B. Continuous low dose antibiotics for prevention of recurrent UTIs
C. Catheterize and irrigate the Bladder daily
D. Intravenos antibiotics with broad spectrum coverage
E. No need of treatment as this is colonization
A 46 y/o woman who is a school bus driver by occupation presents to your office for regular follow up. She has a history of ADPKD. Her blood pressure is well controlled at 120/70 on enalapril. She has no other problems. She denies any headache. There is no family history of intracranial or subarachnoid hemorrhage. However, she is concerned that her head might explode because her sister who also has ADPKD was recently diagnosed of having a berry aneurysm. She wants to be screened for berry aneurysm as soon as possible. Her physical examination is benign and does not reveal any focal neurological deficits. Which of the following suggests the necessity for screening in her case?

A. Family history of berry aneurysm
B. Polycystic kidneys
C. School bus driving
D. Cysts in the liver
E. No screening necessary in her case

is it A or C or E???
1. c
2. b as recurrent uti
3. e
c,b,e

to back up the answer to the apkd question check out this link
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0815/p601.html
hi i think answer to 3rd Q is C. school bus driving. Archer gives that people with High risk occupations must be screened in presence of family history of berry aneurysm and i checked on uptodate also. gr8 question.
it was tough. i agree the answer to 3rd Q is C.
Pages: 1 2