USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Please evaluate one personal statement draft of on - rinnu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
e of my friends....I have no iadea about Psychiatry, so do not know what to write and what not to.

My primary encounter with mental illness began quite early in life when i was a child.My maternal aunt was diagnosed as schizophrenia quite late. Each family member had his/her views about her deteriorating behaviour and conduct and married life.She was given ECT .At present she is on drug therapy since 25 yrs.Her illness though was tried to kept a secret from us kids,we could sense somthing isnt fine.As i grew i came to know the questions which were often discussed in our family in her absence...how will the kids be affected,it that genetical,will my cousin and other would be offspring be affected etc.Inspite of her illness i could see in her a kind ,gentle ,caring soul who is not just blessed with sound mind.I despised my elders being embarrased about her though i do understand their socially avoidant behaviour.Only if her illness was diagnosed early and treated appropriately ,the enormous amount of trauma and suffering can be reduced.In my mind i decided not to be a silent spectator and to attain the ability to make choice in people's life .I decided to become a doctor.

As a medical student i have been deeply intrigued by neurotransmitters that can completely transform human mind and body.My interest soon developed in other aspects of psychiatry specially psychodynamic models and eating disorders.

I was quite excited about my internship rotations in psychiatry as i have read plenty of psychiatry books.But i found psychiatry as most challenging field.I learnt unfolding the thoughts and conflicts of human mind needs not only dedication,patience ,compassion ,respect faith and understanding but a very comfortable and congenial environment.Though time consuming but its mutually rewarding experience.I got answers to many of my questions while new questions continue to arise in my brain.Healing a psychiatric patient was my most gratifying and unique experience.

After graduation i did job under a psychiatirst where i was significantly exposed to individuals with drug related disorders and dual substance abuse and psychiatric disorders.

I am looking forward to a residency training program in which importance is given both to psychopharmacology and psychotherapy,oppurtunity to learn about various cultures and ethics in context of medical disorders while also providing research oppurtunities.After residency i may do fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry.
oh rinnu,

this is a very nice PS...though I would not have post it here for variety reasons most being the fear of plagiarism.....it is just my personal opinion...

you can certainly have some friends read it and make some polishing on it.

best.

good story, but then that means you have an increased chance of suffering from schizophrenia too, if i am the pd, i might be a bit reluctant to take you in coz as pressure may overwhelm you, you may schizophrenic too
Everything looks OK except the last paragraph. Not all the programs are academically oriented (psychopharmacology) or psychotherapy oriented, so why limit your choices? Secondly, on the last sentence I would definitely replace the words "I may"... Are you not sure? LOL Please say that you WILL be looking to specialize further and will try to be accepted in fellowship program...
GL,
E.
counter this further down in your essay and polish it
good opening story, it's real life situation
qwery,

PDs know that we all have something that they should worry about anyway, don't they? LOL

except us, the magnificent ones... we don't have any psych problems by default...LOL
hahaha true, but rinnu has stated it, so she should demonstrate it by giving some difficult situation she made it through without being schizophrenic, medical school may be enough, or say that her aunty was adopted or married to the family hahaha
so rinny you should expand paragraph two
Pages: 1 2 3