USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: q_____________? - sarim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

What happens to the "Glucagon levels" in Diabetics ?

Increased / Decreased/normal ?

Increased as Insulin is reduced
increased
in opposite direction of Insulin....Increased
Is there any diff in type I and type II?
Hi Sarim

Glucagon acts in opposit direction of insulin in normal individual....to increase the blood Glucose.

it is really complicated to say what is the exact mechanism of Glucagon secretion in diabetic patients
In type 1 diabetes ...they are not able to make insulin and even glucagon by the pancreas(alpha and beta cells are not able to make insulin & glucagon).

in Type 2...they have insulin ,but the cells can not use the insulin...and their blood glucose is higher than normal....so it seems the Glucagon should not to be raised or even it should be dec. ,but many diabetic patients with hyperglycemia also have elevated blood concentrations of glucagon, but glucagon secretion is normally suppressed by elevated levels of blood glucose.

so Type 1....dec.
Type2.........dec.

Smile

Thank u maryam Smile

following Q is a step-2 NBME Q from next door step-2 forum. If u wish to take look and what do u guys think about the Dx?

A previously healthy 52-year-old man comes to the physician because of a 3-month history of increased urinary volume and increased urinary frequency at night. He has had a 6.8-kg (15-lb) weight loss during this period despite no change in appetite. His father has hypertension, and his mother has hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus. He currently weighs 95 kg (210 lb) and is 178 cm (70 in) tall. His blood pressure is 160/85 mm Hg in both arms. Examination shows no other abnormalities. His nonfasting serum glucose level is 280 mg/dL. Which of the following serum levels is most likely to be increased in this patient?

A) Bicarbonate

B) Glucagon

C) HDL-cholesterol

D) Insulin

E) Ketones
Type 2 DM there is an increase in insulin specially in the early stages when the pancreas try to over compensate the insulin resistance. Moreover the high glucose in the blood also stimulates Insulin production. And Insulin levels decrease only during late phase when the B cell are exhausted.... And so during late phase the pt becomes insulin dependent.....

This pt. is not an known diabetic , so I think its safe to assume he is in the early phase and so there is an increase in insulin....
not sure ,but I try...

The patient has type II DM with insulin resistance,so I think the insulin level should be raisedt to suppress the high blood glucose,so I will pick D.
What do u think about "Metabolic Syndrome" ?
Pages: 1 2 3