USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry vs Neurology - gardening - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry vs Neurology - gardening (/showthread.php?tid=800765)

Pages: 1 2 3

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-19-2015

gardening, the people I know in real life, the salary difference is about 40,000 to 60,000 difference - neurology makes more than psychiatry.

But don't take my word for it, here is an information page on the fellowship and residency info along with salary for the two:

https://residency.wustl.edu/CHOOSING/SPECDESC/Pages/Psychiatry.aspx

https://residency.wustl.edu/Choosing/SpecDesc/Pages/Neurology.aspx

Also, it depends on if you stay in the academic environment or going 100% into clinical. if you stay in academic, you make less money. But there are folks like me who join medicine not because its financial reward, I just love the medicine and science and enjoy the academic setting. I would try to get a faculty position do half and half between research and seeing patient, so in my personal case, I know I will never make the high end salary scale like other pure clinical setting psychiatrist make. All of us have different goals in life. Maybe that is the reason I was even given some IV chances with my low scores and attempts, my love for academic environment and medical research flow through in my PS and my LOR, the PD sees my application in a different light.

@ salvation_within: i agree with you completely...I am also an academic type person...I have enjoyed research since undergrad and I would like to be in teaching center and contribute to residency education. money is not an issue here.

however, baseline Neurology salary after a fellowship (vascular, neuro-onc) will be atleast 80-100K higher than general psychiatrist salary.

I love both fields equally so would be happy to match in either one..

however, Neuro > Psyc in terms of competitiveness as well as prestiege

Prestige,

Consultation Liaison Psychiatry.

They make other fields look like PAs.

this field apparently pays 400+ start

gardening, I am truly happy for you that you have the options to choose.
Your assessment on salary, competitiveness and prestige are inline with what I am seeing, so I am in complete agreement with you there.

For me, I always count the blessings I have in life, just the fact there is a residency program with good family style, and my low scores and attempts steered down that road, all that is a sign from heaven. I am grateful for that. I hope I will match into a program with relax rules on step 3, so I take multiple shots at passing that last exam. I dare not ask for more in life.

@ boardreview:

i don't think C/L pays alot...it's at a lower end...C/A pays more i think...I love C/L and if it was paying 400K i will choose it without a question

@ salvation_within:

how many psyc interviews did u get or are ranking?

i wish you best of luck and you are in my prayers. you are humble and am happy you see the blessings aroud you

gardening, I thank you for your kind words. I had 8 IVs in Psy, ranking 6. I did not get my act together until my 3rd IVs. I started to articulate better in my 3rd IV and onwards. I wish you a happy match into your top choice - make a great impact in the academic environment.

salvation_within: PLEASE rank all 8 psyc programs if they are not prematch! do not risk urself by ranking 6!

seems u had all uni psyc interviews?

gardening, I thank you for your sincere advise. I came to realize that I came so far can not be attributed to my personal effort, providence played a hand in it. I skipped two for family relocation reasons - which is too length to disclose. I want to see if divinity really guides me down that path. If I don't match, so be it, my heart is now at peace. I am not going to ask my family to sacrifice more than they have done for the two skipped list. I appreciate your warm thought though. Best wishes to you. (yes, the 6 I ranked are all university programs).

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-20-2015

there is more to it guys. psych is not an easy field to be in. you have to deal with very difficult patients it can be extremely taxing. don't get caught up in more money and better hours. it is not easy to deal with psych patients all day long and it certainly is not for everyone. i say all this because i actually applied for psych also because i really did love everything about it. but my wife also applying this year she told me that she just can't do it. she would rather make less money and not have to deal with psych patients so she is going with family med. it's not all beaches and money in psych, it is a very difficult field to be in, the mental toll can be great over your lifetime. so make sure you love it before you go for it.

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-20-2015

@ klaled32222: i agree psyc is very difficult and u need great stamina and patience and spend lengthy time with patients. Psyc does pay more than FM, Peds or IM internist, but it pays ALOT less than a neurologist...as neuro is specialization itself (used to be part of IM years back), and in Neuro u have many Fellowship options.