USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-23-2008

panicattack,

i am not sure how wise it is to leave any residency when you dont have one. same time how fm residency can help you get surgery residency is anybody's guess. you really have a tough situation here. i would suggest you talk to people who have had similar experiences before deciding. keep us posted.

fmgindia,

externship is only for medical students so once you graduate you cant do it. you can try observership though getting research position is better. its easier to get observership than research.

hello guys.

i am facing very bad internet service these days. there is some problem in the dialup infrrastructure in my city. it took me half an hour just to type in this msg. cs and dhoni i will emial you as soon as internet situation gets better.

cs i think u can go from j1 clinical to j1 research irrespective of the accredition status. u have to figure out if the non accredited research will cut into your 7 year period of j1 or not. you better confirm it.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-24-2008

Hi muzammil good to hear from u........
congrats once again,,,,,,SmileHope u got ur first choice program.

thx cs!
i agree its a tricky situation..i kinda realised contacts and internal dealings matter a lot...

yes panic. thats right. all the best.

hi all
could someone tell me how to go about getting the statement of need letter from india..i read a few of the other posts but i was wondering how long it actually takes..and ecfmg told me that its probably quicker to get j1 stamp outside than change ur status within the us..is that right..has anyone got any info on this??

csverysoon, could you please help me with this question

currently i am searching for observerships and i may get one soon through connections, which means i wont submitt a application to the department, i have a friend who can get it for me, now lets say i do get the observership through connections which means it is informal, now when it is time to ask for a lor, do you think the physician i observed will give me a lor with a official letterhead from the hospital with his signature and name or hell just give it to me in a plain normal white paper and hell sign it and give it to me?

what do you think?

anjvas,

it will be quicker to stamp J1 outside the USA. as far your other question, I am working on it.

bidd,

however you get it, if you do make your surgeon to give you an LOR, i feel he will do what is best for you. I think he will make it as good as possible. so dont worry.