USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Psychiatry 2008 - psych2008 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Psychiatry 2008 - psych2008 (/showthread.php?tid=218046)

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-07-2008

hello pklele,
thank you for your input regarding suny downstate. I received interview invitation from nassau few days back but i m not planning to attend as they sponser only j1 visa and only have 4 seats this time. If they ve given prematch to anyone then the No. of seats will be even less.

fellow :
yes you can practice as psychoanalyst after completing your psych residency, although the No. of doctors functioning purely as psychoanalysts is very less. But most who do plan to practice psychoanalysis, do diploma/certificate courses in psychoanalysis to increase their grasp in the subject. some of the programs may afford you the chance of using some of your elective time in 4th year for psychoanalysis.

hi pklele,
just received an e mail from nassau, in reply to my query, stating that they have 5 seats this time and sponser j1. they are trying to press for H1b for selected candidates but no sureties( what is your opinion about nassau?

thanks for the info captain015.
i have only heard from people abt the prog, avg prog and also the j1 issue. they have given prematches in the past and i am surprised how no one has not rcvd any this time?? good thing is the accomodation within the campus and it is a relatively safe area, am in two minds myself abt going for the iv!

has anyone heard from st louis PD? Letter stating that he/she is a high quality applicant. want to know if that is a generic mail.

Captain:
Many thanks for your prompt reply and the valuable info.

pklele,
i ll be interviewing at st. louis later this week ! any inputs?

As for nassau, although they have accommodations within campus, the thing is that its only subsidized compared to NY city rates which in itself are two times elsewhere. plus working on j1 in a city like new york is not that attractive.. why? because you cannot moonlight and that deprives you of an important income source one needs in an expensive city like NY.
But thats my opinion. I probably would have attended it had they send me an invitation earlier so that i could ve covered it wen i was there for other interview. but now I fancy going all the way to NY again for a single interview with average program without fellowships.

Captain:
NY residency programs have higher salary, you can manage it as soon as you settle in NY.

Yes fellow,
the programs in new york have higher pays but not that much if you consider the cost of living there..one can definitely manage with the stipend one gets and many are..but the point to note is that most of the residents in NY are on H1 and often moonlight.

It is still ok to join a univ program in NYC on a J1 but i am not so sure about an affiliated program without fellowships in psychiatry and a J1 visa in NYC

I see what you are saying, captain.