USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine 2011 - nono - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine 2011 - nono (/showthread.php?tid=529998)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-14-2010

didnt they say this on the website that they require US clinical experience?

This is what the web page says:

International Medical Graduates

Special laws and regulations apply to international medical graduates who wish to enter the United States to undertake graduate medical education. MAHEC's policies and procedures regarding graduates of international medical schools comply with federal and state laws and regulations and MAHEC's commitment to graduate medical education.

Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada must have a currently valid certificate from the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Applicants must successfully pass both Step 1 (basic medical) and Step 2 (clinical knowledge) of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).

While MAHEC does not sponsor a visa, the international medical graduate applicant must also possess a current/valid visa option or other status governed by the US Immigration Regulations to participate in a GME program.

Finally, the North Carolina Medical Board requires that physicians who are graduates of schools that are not accredited by the LCME or the AOA (foreign medical schools) must be individually certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, have successfully completed at least three years of accredited graduate medical training, and have passed the USMLE or its equivalent to be eligible for application for full licensure. An international medical graduate must complete all other application requirements required by MAHEC and the GME program.

Rej : Oklahoma health science center ,Fm anybody else?

apparently everyone but me, can people who got rejections from there post their creds

i got it too Oklahoma and then before that got one from Nevada, Reno FM program

I satisfy all their requirements except I have currently ongoing US observership 6 months with LOR's.
I don't understand their point. I cannot apply for license if I am not in residency and if I am not in residency I cannot get US clerkship. I have seen a lot of programs saying that will not regard LOR's from paid clinical experience or observership so volunteeer experience with patient's history, exam and treatment is all I can get.

well nedi...the thing is...there are two types of FMG remember...people who dont do their clinical rotations here in the states...n people who go to st. george or ross and do their rotations in the states.....in any case...that set of criteria regarding US clinical experience is vague.....in situations like this...eras should give the $$ dude...thats messed up..

@nedi, they obviously prefer someone who has done pgy 1 in the us, and has passed step three and applied for licence,
lots of program are not even volunteering information as to why they re rejecting candidates.

I got rejection from MAHEC, UNC, for FM too...

I do not understand, if I have completed one your of GME in ACGME accredited program, why would I apply for PGY-1 at MAHEC UNC family medicine program rather than applying for PGY-2 someplace else ?

I think this is a loop hole in the ACGME rules to indirectly mention that at MAHEC UNC we would only accept AMG and IMG with US clinical rotations ( as per type#2 AMG mentioned by terry_ghand earlier)

"Because you have not completed one year in an ACGME accredited residency
program we are not able to offer you an interview at this time.
I wish you the best in your pursuit of a residency training program that will
meet your needs"

even type 2 Amgs dont automatically complete one year of acgme residency. most likely what they'd have are clinical rotations.

the fact is even if u have completed pgy 1 somewhere else u still have a better shot att getting into another pgy1 rather than 2 simply because there are more open positions and your Iyr is the most excellent type of USCE anyone cld hope for, all other things beign equal.