USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
US clinical experience - - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: US clinical experience - (/showthread.php?tid=10302)

Pages: 1 2

US clinical experience - - ArchivalUser - 03-18-2004

stuck

Hi Everybody !
does anybody know how to get US clinical experience as most of the programs are asking for that.
Is this just another way of saying no IMG's ? Why are these people coming up with all kinds of reasons-- can't they have proper rules and follow that ? doen't ECFMG have antyhitng to do with residencies? So what's the point in having High scores and ECFMG cert.--these Programs find some reason to say no!!

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-18-2004

Doc

How can we get it??????Anyone have any idea.....I was asked by several PD the same question yesterday.

bj

Did those PDs specify what type of us clinical experience? If they want us residency experience, then I find this is ridiculous since to get into residency(what we are doing now) is the only way to get US clinical experience!!!!!!

K.

You could do it by volunteering somewhere, i.e doing what is called "Observantship". Also, if you are a post-doc with the federal govt. and have a licence in your home country, you are eligible for what is called "incidental clinical priviledges".
This is my experience and knowledge that I gained after having discussions with several residency program coordinators.

usmle

i did voulnteer job and observership.... this is not clinical experience....
this is killing your time,...

what is incidental clinical privilage, i never heared about it, and one more thing ,isthat to prove that you r superhero?

ms

dear K
would you please send me some information regarding "incidental clinical priviledges".?
to have federal gov. post doc fellowship should u be us citizen or GC holder?
mazshad_2000
regards

K.

Incidental Clinical Priviledges are given to the NIH or FDA fellows. That means that you can see patients and do the follow-ups and everything connected with patient care, however, you can not write prescriptions, and the attending must approve of all of your orders and your work in general.

And, dear usmle, I am not trying to prove anything. Just sharing my experience and trying to help.

SC

dear friends..

two things when we talk about US exp:
1. a lot of IMGs are GC holders or are citizens...for them , it is normal to have done some externships/rotations here in US and that is the clinical exp that PDs really want.. so bear that in mind..since PDs can find these people..they would rather choose them over someone who has no US exp at all..so they ask !
2. a lot of PDs ,esp. from smaller programs and those who are new to the system do not understand all the intricasies of the visa system /restrictions and there fore do not understand that not everyone is eligible to get hands on clinical exp in US..and.. if its not the PD who is asking u the question - even more so ! so sometimes it is wiser to actually explain the situation to them rather then just saying 'no exp'..

K.

Dear ms,

It is a very stupid situation. You do not have to be a US citizen or GC holder. They will sponsor you with a J1 visa. However, this very tricky, since, first the duration limit is 5 years, and if you receive money from the feds. (in this case yes), you will have to go through the visa waiver-then O-visa-then H1 visa, provided that you could find a company/and/or residency program to sponsor you.

Another way out is if you could get and outside money (from your country or US company) to pay your salary and sponsor you for the visa, than having a research experience (as a post-doc, especially with NIH) helps a lot. Also, provides you with networking opportunities.

I hope this helps. Go and visit the NIH web-site (www.nih.gov) and FDA @ www.fda.gov

usmle

i didn't mean you ... am sorry..
i ment is ( the incidental experience thing) is something that you have to prove that you were super candidate to be in the US system... or you have abilities better than others..
what do you have to do to get these credientials?
am sorry, i was not clear inmy question