USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
failed 3 times - - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 1 (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: failed 3 times - (/showthread.php?tid=1856)

Pages: 1 2

failed 3 times - - ArchivalUser - 11-16-2003

Gia - deltawpb

I need some help. Got my results yesterday and failed for the third time. Practice exams I was running were all aover 80 %.
Study material I used was First AId for USMLE step 1 / medrevue q-bank and the whole series of Youel's prep.
I have been a practising doctor for 12 years, never had any problems in the medical field and know I am sitting here with this d......... exam and can not pass this border. Any advice there out for me / references on the study material. ? I really would apreciate it

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-16-2003

einsteinheart

Hi! This is the hardest exam for which I have ever prepared. It's just so much memorization, and I don't think that I'm good at memorizing. Give me a math problem or something which requires only my understanding! Guess what? I'll solve it, but memorization. Oh my! I cannot tell you how to study for this exam or what books to use if you've already been using it. However, I can say that anyone can learn given enough time. For some people, that requires 3 months. For others, learning for the USMLE requires 3 years. However, when facts are drilled into a head long enough, eventually they stick. Evaluate if there's a more efficient way for you to study. Even if there isn't, don't give up. As for books, I don't know. The books which you used seem fine. Don't use too many different info sources.

ankur

i would recomend the kaplan q bank any time.its the best resourse out there.

Lee

It is very hard for people who graduated many years ago. On the one hand, you don't remember all the stuff learned long time ago, on the other hand, your time seems running out in terms of biological age. I am an old graduate myself and 40 years old. I completely understand your situation. Well, think it over. If you really really want it, give it another try. Take your time to prepare. Don't rush. A lot of people try more than 3 times becuase it is worthy. Maybe you can try Kaplan lectures and q-bank. Take care!

hang in there

What score did you get each time? Did you get very anxious before and during the exam? Do you understand the concepts or have you only memorize the information. May be you a bad at taking exams. have you passed the other steps?

Gia

Thank for the advice. My first score ( I took it blind without great prep) was 138 , 2nd score 164 and the last one 167 - after switching in my study material from First aid to Youes Prepl prep.
Before I took it for the 3 rd time , I did test exams and scored constantly between 74 and 80%. I really dont get why I only increased my scores with 3 points ??

salbato

hi Gia,
It is very easy to fail this exam even if you are very good in clinical practice,especially if you are an old graduate.what the boards want you to know is slightly different from what is there in real practice ,so the best thing is to know what the boards want you to know.If you check the classified section ,you should be able to get the webprep lecture cds,listen to all the lectures,over and over again ,spend btw 4-5months in all, read the notes(kaplan) and first aid .If you are a fast reader brouse through BRS for physiology and behavioural science if not kaplan is suffuicient.Practice simulated exams over and over and get involved in discussion groups.You will dedfinately pass good, cheers!!!.

Diya

I dont personally feel einsteinheart is right in saying that this exam is memorising, Infact its anything But that. I gave the exam a month back, and I dont think I had to use the memory card that often. Its more of reading, understanding why exactly you are reading it. Everything is applied science. Memorising is when they ask you data, or numbers or percentages, or which chromosome is involved. In this exam they never do that, they will give you the chromosome involved as a picture and tell you to find out the defect.
So if you are doing bad in this exam, its only cause
1. You havent learnt the matter.
2. You have learnt it, not applying it well enough.

Best of luck for future exams!

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-17-2003

hang in there

I think based on your score that your problem is a sound understanding of the concepts inaddition to problems with taking exams. My reason for this is your score on the practise questions. clearly the questions you take before the real test the stress is absent.

well i think you should try to get some kaplan material and study to understand and do q bank. try to aim for at least 70% on qbank and you should be ok. dont give up.

you are not the first one to fail the test multiple times and you wont be the last. Just keep in mind that you are one of many who have struggled but will eventually overcome this hurdle.

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-17-2003

USMLETaker

I failed exams 2 times and taking for the 3rd time in January. I think it is important to do Q bank to understand the concept on how they ask the questions. I agree with everyone else that MEMORIZING some of the stuff is the only way to get the answers during the real test.