USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-20-2007

Thanks MD03 and Mahabart for your inputs. Most of us, especially myself, believed otherwise. I thought Prelim Surg would be better than Categorical Internal Medicine but as CS rightly pointed out, first hand experience is the best.
CS I dough my hat for your extraordinary commitment to this thread. We will forever remain grateful to you for the commitment you showed in updating the rejections and IVs, and in making clarifications where necessary. May the Good Lord grant you your first choice.
Meanwhile I got my first Surgery IV a couple of seconds ago - form Brooklyn center. The other IV I have is in OBGY.
I pray God will crown all our efforts.

sporez>>join the club buddy
congratualtionnnnnnnssssss
mine is 30th ,when is yrs

also to md30 and Mahabart>> if i donot have any visa issue,gotta gc pending,should i rank preliminary surgery[from good university program] higher than categorical other speacilities,or should i rank categorical IM higer than preliminary surgery caz i may have difficulties for finding a categorical spot after finishing my preliminary year
thnx for your help guyss

Rej-Indiana Univ
I totally agree with MD03 n Mahabharat......it's a tough take as a prelim surgery..chance of making into categorical defnitely not easier......So far no IV other than my own program.....

Mahabharat,

just curioust to ask your opinion ... as u r doing ur prelim on j 1 u must have researched a lot for the shift from j1 prelim to j 1 categorical issue(pgy 1 or pgy 2). or again to prelim issue.

can u please share a bit from ur knowledge that , is it possible to get pgy 2 from prelim j1 status (if u have came across any statastical data or personal experience) ?

or have u confirmed with ecfmg about repeating pgy 1 with categorical as u are on j 1 prelim ?

i think you are the person who can guide us all in this burning issue.

thanks in advance.

Life_saver00 , man even if you have no visa issue I would rank IM categorical above all (learned the hard way)

surgery1 : you can do prelim 2 or categorical on J visa, have seen many friends but cannot repeat prelim 1 again no matter what speciality.

Surely will need opinion of Mahabharat on it , as myself havent checked with ECFMG.

it looks that you have a better chance at IM.

Thanks Life_safer. How I wish I had better Internet access! My Interview is on 25 January. I want to request for a change of date to late December/ early January since I have another Interview (OBGY) late December in NY.

guys. i wanted to ask, how difficult is it to find a categorical spot after doing prelimnary spot. i have a gc. no visa issue.

or after doing PGY1 if i continue at the same PGY 2 at same hospital, how diffiicult is to get PGY 3 categorical.

sporez,
very happy to know that you have got your first surgery interview. do well.

got rejection from indiana. nothing else