USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-21-2007

If you dont mind doing any other specialty then dont come to surgery as a prelim, but if surgery is your heart and soul and you would take all the risks in the world of it then its your call.

thats mahabarat's words

mahabarat,

i thought once you are in H1 its relativley easy to get GC. whats your take on it mate?

dude GC does not make alot of difference. There are ppl who are trying to get GC in I.M now and later will try for surgery but i beleive thats not practical at all.

When you spend 3 years in medicine for a GC, you dont find enough energy left in you after that, to get into a long, nerve wrecking surgery residency. Secondly after 3-4 years do you think the competition among surgical applicants would be the same ??? absolutely not, because when there are 15-20 excellent IMG applicants competing for every categorical spot these days then after 3-4 years you can imagine.

90 % of 40-50 surgery programs who are known to take IMGs as categorical sponsor some kinda of a visa. These days its about competition man, every program has a moto that we are the next best program in US after 10 years and they are actually working on it. No program director wants to take a crapy GC, instead he would always prefer an excellent candidate because sponsoring visa is responsiblity of instituition and not his.

Bottom line GC makes a differnce only when the applicant himself has the iron and gold in him. Currently sitting home you guys cant even think of the true competition on the floor, ER and OR.

LUCK is essentially reqd, how good or bad you are.

Later buddy

mahabarat,
i was actually not making this point and i think you grossly misunderstood what i asked but thats ok.

csverysoon, I am sure Mahabarat is running between floors and ER and his computer Smile so to make his life a little easy, and answer your question:

Yes its really easy to get GC once you r on H visa , depending if you find a job or sponsor etc

For surgery residency its not that good of a visa because as mahabart already explained the cut off 6 yrs. Until lady luck is with you and you get a categorical spot soon after your prelim.

J visa itself is a mess because you first have to find a waiver than convert it into H and then to GC, but atleast can try surgery for 7 yrs.

hope now its clear, and good luck again.

My day off today and tomorrow so any question i am on!!!!!!!!!

md03,
hi i wanted to ask you a few things seeing that you are already a resident.
hope that's ok?

graduated in 1999, with MS in surgery, good MLE scores( >95),MRCS , 2 yrs work exp,and GC but...........

CS failed so only applying next year for residency and also 2 yrs gap in cv with nothing clinical as came to US with husband so........

what should I do in the mean time to improve my Cv seeing that I have 6 months at least.

I am really worried.
thanks.
Yvonne

thanks guys. appreciate your taking time off to help us.

guys i really have a big doubt. is it possible to sign a prematch and then break the contract if you dont want to go through it. any view will be appreciated.

Hey csverysoon

i was not replying to your question, rather i was making a general comment so dont take it personally, what i am trying to say is if you are thinking for surgery dude then try to get a categorical spot, dont think about the visa because H1 visa preferrence can make your goal even more difficult .... waiver issues in General surgery are not that bad as they are in medicine because now GS is a primary care specialty so waiver is not impossible to get.

Secondly now the answer to your question:

J1 (total 5 years , can be extended to 2 more years = 7 total) ---- > 2 year waiver (during this waiver your visa status is H1 ) ----> GC (only if you find a job, witout job no GC)

H1 ----> total 6 years (no extensions) -----> find a job and your employer will get you a GC

Now all the employers in US does not offer GC so even on H1 no guranteee of GC, good thing about H1 , you can visit your family anytime you want, on J1 you can meet your family once and then get J1 visa stamped again ... another big headaches for asians.

Hope this help

VERY HAPPY THANKS GIVING TO EVERYONE