USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-10-2008

I am currently doing research in Cardiothoracic surgery in IL on H1 B. I am planning to get into preliminary surgery and then into anesthesia. I got offer letter from anesthesia program in Chicago.

I have 2 abstracts publishes 3 case reports, and one article published all in Cardiology.
and 4 abstracts submittes in CT surgery still i am finding difficult to get in to prelim surgery.

I ma 2000 graduate with 92,76.78 scores. Yes i heard getting prelim surgery on H1 B is better than J1.

Hi cs........am feeling bored too....wanna go back home soon......but have step 3 before that ...am sticking around at my obsie place cos the pd suggested it ......and am doing some papers .......dont know if it will help in any way........
And abt teh visa issues........do the years on J1 reasearch cut into ur 7 years ?

thanx cs for the recap on this thread.

most of my qs are answered but some i guess ar not that much answered thats y i wanted to restart this discussion.

first of all i want your point on this post

Re:General Surgery thread - nothing official about
mahabarat - 11/21/07 07:46

one more thing .... ppl say that do prelim on H1 ....

its entirely wrong, if you do prelim on H1 then you actually have 6 years for the whole training and you can do only 1 year as a prelim, but on J1 you can atleast do 2 years of prelim and you chances will be better to make it to categorical after 2 years.
Report Abuse

I was thinking what if you do prelim PGY 1 on H1 may be PGY 2 prelim on H1 too and you get lucky and find a position in cat program PGY 1 2 or 3 and the program sponsers only J1
cant we easliy switch from H1 to j1?

what if we do prelim on H 1 and then do research on H 1 and after 2 3 years of research go into cat surgery. i understand that we had already used up 3 4 yrs of H1 so we cant get into cat surgery program whihc has still more than 3 years of training left. in that case dont we always have the options to switch to j1?

i met a person in one of the interviews he was very positive that we can repeat PGY 1 of cat surgery after doing PGY 1 of prelim if we tell the program before hand that we r on j1 and program in that case changes some rotations form those of PGY 1 to sound like a new training. He told me there were many ppl who were doing this.

and cs i want your thouughts on the option of forgetting about prelim surgery this year and straighlty going to research on H1 for 2 3 years and then applying for cat surgery.

I am thinking on all these options bcz after the whole iv process i ahve reached this conclusion that for a guy like me with no usce no us lor and not even gud home experince of surgery cat this yr is impossible even prelim seesm to be very hard. if i am lucky enough to match into a prelim atleast i should have some idea in mind what next to expect.

hi guys i did speak to some guys at the uiversity .......yeah on J1 u do have a lot of options......
1 . U may be lucky enough to move to a cat PGY 2 .
2 . U can convert to J1 research,which is pretty much easy to get into.......it is not as diff as it sounds ......I know a few at the uni who did that and in the mean time keep looking for a PGY2 spot......If its a teachign hospital u have a good chance of getting in .
3. U can do a 2nd year prelim and try for a PGY3.

In many place if u do a prelim u can get reaseach at good places .......like yale for eg.

or u can do a reasearch on H1 for 2 -3 yrs on a H1 .........but then H1 is only for 6yrs so if u wnat to do surg that gives u just one year for research........H1can be extended i heard but residencies dont favour that .

I heard also that u can repeat PGYI of cat surgery.......on a J1.........