USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-19-2008

maimonodes is not a university program.

abdofsalam its very difficult to predict the chances bcz i havent come across anyone who has personal experince in this issue. but as cs said there must be a very solid explanation for you to tell in the surgery intervoew next year that y on earth you liked medcine and took a spot of prelim medicine last and now you find yourself in love with surgery.

but on the psoitive note i think definitly having USCE is gona help you how much and in whihc way i frankly dont know. may be you have to figure out how to cash your USCE.

and you can also get your answer if you can search out those who have gone into surger after doing prelim IM. ask the program where do their prelim medcine go, if they tell you someone went into surgery trace him and ask him details.

i wish i would have been more help to you.

cs n muzzamil,
thanks for reply, its not univ,
but is it university affiliated community program or purely community based..??coz need to tell abt research interests n stuffs..hence..

hey mledstudent..
plz tel me how did ur iv go at maims?
loookin fwd for ur reply..
best
pancreas

hi muzammil.......have u begun ur rankorder......i just saw that upenn has only 4 prelim positions in NRMP.....what does that mean ??have they offered prematch to 6 ?

hi

need an opinion friends.
what do you guys think of prematch prelim h1( in fact 2 , both very good places )
I met some prelim surgery residents from good places who did not have impressive categorical interviews. i know its difficult to predict chances but is there a way any we can any how do it.
6 cate-- ( 4 usual, 2 very good)

hey dhoni--- did you get prematch from upenn. they were offering to lot of applicants.

any other got prelim spot ?? what do you think about it.

dhoni 4 prelim positions are form last year quota they havent made nay changes to quota as yet. they have till 31st to chnage the quota. see if that figure changes. and i am not sure that how many undesignated prelim they have to begin with.

another imprtanat question regarding upenn prelim is whether they gonna sponsor h1 in match. i heard from somewhere that they offer j1 in match and h1 in prematches bcz h1 takes more time for processing. i just heard it but my source is weak.

your input dhoni on this???

and dhoni did u contcat NYMC queens brooklyn to know wether they r considering for prelim or catgorical.

i have my step 3 exam in 10 days so i am focussing on that for the time being. plz do inform me if u get some info from programs.

well........the pd at upenn did say they prefer J1 for match......but when i told him abt the accelerated 1000$ processing for H1..he was quite open abt it....think they may still give H1.........
I did write to Rick Robinson the pc at NYMC last month......said they will let us know in jan.......
did not hear anything after that .........
Have postponed my step 3 to next month....early.......am continuing my observership.......interesting ......but am finding it hard to study......
So hows ur prep coming along ? good luck......

will keep u posted if i hear from any of them.....

surgery08 its your call. no one can really advise you about it.

if u feel that you stand fair amount of chance at the palces you intervoewed for catgprical u can take a calculated risk but if u feel this is not the case then grab whatever comes your way as in the second case u dont have much of an option.

most of the places i interviewed for catgorical i had this impresson form them that they were looking for experinced people. so assess your chances and if u think u stand gud chance u can take caluclated risk but if u feel u dont have gud chance then grab the oppertunity and hope for the best.

best of luck