USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-25-2008

Hi , Pranil .......good to hear that ur father is doing better now ...
I have sent u a email ......
Keep in touch.

A general enquiry about interview. I will have 7.5 years of surgical experience ( 4.5 yrs in India & 3 years in UK ) when I apply for surgical residency. How will this play with me during my interview ( I hope I will be selected for interview though....). I am sure there are many here who are like me - if not 7.5 - atleast a few years - how do we justify the PD's that I have not got trained properly in 7.5 years and need 5 more years to get trained.

Any suggestions?

To CS - oh God !!!! you are too good. You are leaving this treasue thread for all of us - awaiting for the 2009 match. May God bless you in all your endeavours. Thanks to muzammil and dhoni as well. Genuine efforts need to be appreciated and you all deserve a special thanks from people like - at the least.

Salam

pranil i wish your father best of health.

hmm.........tricky......though they wouldnt exactly phrase it that way .......
U could say that u believe that the training in the united states is far more advanced then back home and also that certain branches of speciality are not available back home .......
Like say for India.........we dont have trauma fellowships.......say that u have strong academic interest .

But most of all ........be confident and speak ur mind .
In my interview I was asked of the US health care system when compared to back home ......
Well i told them......there is always room to improvement ...say the US system is more advanced but in India its more accessible.......
So they asked me ......so u think the us system is not good enough.....?
It was a tricky question.....so I said yeah ...it can be better .
HE just laughed for quite sometime.........we need people thinking there is room for improvement cos otherwise we are going to stagnate . .......we need to work towards that ...
I matched at that program Smile

SO just speak ur mind.....and be urself.

And never give them the idea that u are not trained properly,,,,,,,,,thats bad strategy .....Smile

Thanks Dhoni. I would appreciate views from CS and Muzammil and likes as well.

Plus, Could I bother you guys with another question?

I know having step 3 is an advantage. But, does it have to be before sept 1st or before interview? I am trying to organize my work in UK with my USMLE studies. Does it make any difference to the possible outcome if I have step 3 with my application as on sept 1 and prior to my interview - which would be any time before novemeber. Please clarify.

cs,
excellent info on J1 visa...thx a ton !

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-26-2008

thanks guys
for you time and advice

been travelling for the last 2 days, so couldnt log in. sorry about that.

abdofsalam,

your 7.5 or 8 years of training is never a con and should never be played like that. i would say that you may be a lot better candidate than many others just because of your experince. you need to pick genuine reasons for moving to usa. dhoni has given an good example of trauma. there is transplant and other stuff too. the tricky part with this answer is that you dont need to do residency to do fellowship in any of these. so be prepared for counter arguements. and moreover technologically usa is far advanced so training here will make you more upto date. USA gives oppurtunity to have a balanced career with operating, teaching and research having commendablepart. in india you will probably be operating only. all these you can highlight.

if you already have good scores in your previous steps, i would advice defering step 3 to november or december. but you need to apply before september to be eligible to give in the same year. hope you are clearer now.