USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-26-2008

pranil,

happy to hear that your father is improving. wish him the best.

dhoni,

whats happening with your J1?

abdofslam

i agree with dhoni and cs. having exerince can be a your strength you only have to use magic words to sound it so. when u go to program try to find out what they take pride in about their residency use it to your advantage. mold your answer according to program. your answer may be fellowship oppertunities, academics.

i know one fact about us training its very organized and structured as compared to training o
offered at most of the institues of subcontinent and for that matter even UK too.

and rgarding step 3 i dont think in surgery it is a matter of 1st spetember you can delay it a little bit. but if u can get it over by the time of interview it would be gud for you.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-27-2008

i have a similar experience in surgery, six years when i applied...i used to think that my experience was a disadvantage because i was an old grad...but it def. worked to my adv...as i was offered a pre match in surgery....as to what to say....look confident...and the reason for coming to US after having trained elsewhere is to become board certified...now u have to be board certified to get any fellowship...except of course if u have done an Mch.....so that is one thing u could say.

Hey CS - Thanks a million. I have 99 in step 1 and awaiting results for CS. I dont want to hurry up with CK - simply because I am again aiming to do my best with CK as well. It is just that If Step 3 is very important - then I can take time out from my work so that I can complete it as well before sept 1.

When you say - It is better to defer step 3 to november or december - what are your reasons for that? Could you please tell me.

Plus, Can I ask you to email me to my email id please, which is abdofsalam. I wish to clarify a few more things. If you are busy with your work, take your time. I would appreciate your help with this.

Thanks CS.

Salam

abdofsalam,

"if you already have good scores in your previous steps, i would advice defering step 3 to november or december."

i mean step 3 is a liability, a risk. its very hard to get 99 in it just because of the way its setup. so when you have two 99s, why try something in which you may not get 99 before the interviews. especially when its not required. if you register for step 3 in september (before 4th sept) you would be eligible in nov and dec. that way you will have the result ready for H1. even january isnt bad time to take it. but its better to take step 3 before starting residency. just like in poker, if you know, when you have two Kings up your sleeve, you should go for All In instead of letting others wait for straight or Flash.

cs,
hv u started the j1 visa process? looks like it will take one and half mths!

Hi CS, Muzammil, Dhoni and loveguru
To be honest - very very useful and very very significant guidance for me through your posts. Thanks a million. I am really indebted to you guys.

I could as of now pay it back a little by praying to the Almight to shower all his blessings upon you guys.

Thanks again

Salam

yes panic, it will take that long or longer. i am yet to start as i am yet to get my contract.

how many have got their contracts?

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-28-2008

Dear csverysoon,

I did not get my contract yet, because my program started to send the package yesterday.