USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 08-30-2008

hello CS,

Cud you give some tips for those of us that want to apply for surgery...did u match prelim or categorical. what hospitals favor categorical prelim. Any other tips that would be helpful

thx.

99 - ArchivalUser - 08-30-2008

hi cs how are you
how is your residency,,, I think you've been matched with prelim position, what is your strategy this year would you apply to cat pgy2 or any other specialty are you happy with your decision you made last year or not? what do you think program that your are with will convert you to pgy2 or they ask you to apply through ears.
how about other friends that matched last year do you maintain contact with them or not? I lost the track how many people matched last year from this threat to gs and what was it prelim or categorical????
thanks for responding your participation was long expected good luck with your residency,,,

hi friends,

frankly i dont have any strategy. I have a few issues with which i am pre-occupied. and i dont think any program takes their prelims for cat spot unless there is a spot available. this obviously means re-applying but just have no idea as to what to do.

csverysoon,
i hope i will be able to get in this year like you did last year,

do you know if it is wise to apply to prelim and categorical of the same program or will they think we are undecided?

0 - ArchivalUser - 08-31-2008

you can apply to both but when asked why you should be ready to explain well.

ok did you apply like that last year?
or do you think it is better that I apply to either on only depending on the program?
Also I have another question. I am done with all the exams and got the last result on the 13th august. I thought I would get the ECFMG certificate by this month end. There is a delay there due to overload. My credentials have been verified.
Do you think I should apply on sept 2nd with no certificate? or only apply when I get the certificate?

Hay guys.. I have few questions:
1. while applying for prelim spot.. what to wrtie in "You may indicate your PGY-2 Specialty interest(s) here:" ??????????
2. should we release USMLE transcript now?
thanx in advance!

Hi everyone,
I want to know what r my chances..
I applied last year for surgery but didn't match..
My CS results last year were not available until January, DO you think that this is the cause?
last year i got only 1 interview at Chicago and they didn't hire me, when i interviewed i didn't have my ECFMG certificate yet.. do you think that's why they didn't hire me??
I want to know how to improve my chances this year..
I'm 2003 Grad, scores 82/95/CS passed first attempt, have MRCS England, surgery resident for 3 years at Cairo Univ. Egypt., taking step 3 in november and having an observership next december

Hanytakla
Your certification might be a reason.
You should try this year with full energy... hopefully u ill get into .. GL

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-01-2008

hi cs do you remember how many people matched last year??? as I know one guy prematched in GS he was an old guy,,,