USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Surgery thread - nothing official about it - csverysoon (/showthread.php?tid=227701)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-14-2008

hey 9811
i had some ache in the heart when i got rejection from Univ of Aranksas
it read like -
we considered your applicatina and blah blah and blah
we had lots of applications and so on
no reasoon for rejecting
so dont know what ehy want fom m
born for american parents - or what ever
life goes on
lets wait
anxiety prevails.............

Got rejection from University of Arkansas on Thursday..............
I am depressed.

I will update the list once a day. Every night so we will all see where we can still have hope. Remember that this a long process , so please post ur rejection or iv and we will do a daily final update.....to make it closer to reality...check all the other forum u may know..if u see anything there, post it here..Good luck to all
Eshwara.. You have a good shot in ur hands , I am sure u will match..try to grab ASAP a USCE and u will have full green light toward residency..GL

9811734044 - ArchivalUser - 09-14-2008

very well said right_doc!
that place wont be a private jet or a jag but the idea is to be the best you can be watever it takes! or how long it tkaes no worries...........itsa a relief to find ppl who hae similar views on this.....coz you know half the world will think we are loons........sweating it out for years instead of "settling" down and making money , at least back home it is so diiflt to explain....why a second residency and all that ......
I have mails from the OHSU saying that It does sponsor visas, it was only after this mail conforamtion that i had decided to flush down th 25 bucks , I wrote back to them saying that this was unexpected and they then rpomised to revi my application, which I am now certian would be a hogwash....why cant they simply say no instead f wastinf ppls money, they are making eras rich for nothing.....must have a "cut" from the profir themsleves, just bcoz that guy was sleepin and replyin mails at the same time dzt mean all of us will have to pay for it.....
only if i had money and time I would have sued these ppl!! they deserve to be...

9811734044 - ArchivalUser - 09-14-2008

plpardon my typos
when i type i get all tensed up llike all the ghosts in the world were after me......
hi CS very soon....
you had begn this last year right....the thread that is.....you must be the wisest guy around here.....I will be indebted if you could suggest on the off cycle prel PGY 1 vaccancy at the MGH that i am taking up......
And CS why do you thin bronx leb rejected me ........was is coz i dint have my step 3 ? I have frens who got in there with lower scores .....dunno only if they would tell....
do you think i should email all programs tellin them that i will be having a prelim exp now as this info is not there in my CAF .....then how will progs know about my prelim PGY1 USCE , as this happened much after i had filled up the caf and submitted it! you think i shoud individualy call them up /write to tell them of this new update....
right_doc: do not get wrked up withrejections.......they will come in torrents after a month or so......just brace yourself.....never stop beleiving.....just keep at it till there is eve one iota of hope...god bless Amen!!!

99 - ArchivalUser - 09-14-2008

you guys are very naive if you think for 100 application you will get 98 interview in GS,,, you will know it is very tough to get any interview in it even if you have 100X3 got through this thread from start you will know,,, everyone needs a umbrella for shower of the rejection,,, if you get 2 IV you will be lucky,,, that is my experience from last year it is brutal,,, not to discourage you,,, cs knows what i am talking about,,,from my recollection only 2 from this whole thread got cat position the rest only got prelim including our friend cs,,, good luck for everyone,,, in my opinion GS cares less about scores,,, most programs,,, but it does not mean they will offer iv to everyone,,, all programs say we look at whole application,,, no matte what you are they prefer their graduates 1st no matter what a crappy credentials they have,,, in my judgment from last year IM is more score oriented than GS,,,in my opinion the guy who got the prelim he did the best choice,,, because cs got it through match with all its problems and anxiety, don't want to discourage but that is the reality,,, in my program I know a nice girl who is doing pgy2 prelim still with no guarantee to get the pgy3 this is another hurdle,,, but at least if you get a spot you are in,,, in this case after 2 years of frustration she come to this conclusion to change to FM,,, but who knows she believes she made a good choice,,, at least she has a position,,, who knows,,, be prepared for tough days ahead that is part of surgery,,, it has never been easy and will not be easy,,,,

scary but ture isnt it... lets face the music boys.....

hey 9811
some news about bronx - which i read elsewhere
these guys prefer fresh grads... that has been there pref
but, we have one of our guys who is shortlisted there for IV - and he is a old grad!
mm... every thing is possible in this country - including a girl from alaska with lipstick!!!! ready to sit with the nuclear button on her hands!!!!

Like I mentioned earlier I would not miss an opportunity especially if I dont have any USCE or US LORs. You need to upgrade your CAF at the earliest saying that you are a prelim now and would have 1 year of USCE next year. I dont know how it is done but think its possible. Try to be positive. Difficult doesn't mean impossible, not probable doesn't mean not possible.

To All

You will not be getting interviews from everywhere. Out of 100 you would need 5 to 10 interview to have a realistic chance of matching. So dont worry a lot about rejections. And I haven't known OHSC take any FMG so you shouldn't even have applied there.