USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
i got a 99 - - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 1 (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: i got a 99 - (/showthread.php?tid=2478)

Pages: 1 2

i got a 99 - - ArchivalUser - 01-17-2004

xyz

i got a 99...but i think its coz of where i come from...school matters big time

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-17-2004

saga - s

I eligeble doing usmle, coz my mom was better th others. wow

ra

Humility is definitively your best quality.

usmleman1

xyz.... where your majesty from ??? Yale? or Harvard?
please do let us-the poor simple in mind people know!!!

xyz,

please share how you studied. going to good school only means that you passed a previous selection - the MCAT among the best. It does not automatically give you a 99 on the boards. can you please share your reviewing strategy, and if you have time specifically mention what it is that you found your schooling to be especially helpful with.

thank you.

congratulations!

xyz

dear 99,
going to a good school does not mean the MCAT is going to help u...step 1 is a different level altogether..wat i meant was if u go to a school where u r tested on the USMLE pattern for each of ur exams and most of the teaching requires u to think and not memorize, it wud go a longgg way..this means that ur school WILL gv u an edge but does not guarantee a good score...i say this becoz my school averages a score in the 90s...and not only for step 1, for step 2 too

0 - ArchivalUser - 01-18-2004

dear xyz,

you dont need to explain that going to a good school does good to you. everyone is aware of that, and that is the sole reason why everybody is trying to get into the best possible school they can. there are many good schools all around the world. i was lucky enough to spend a long time at the best schools in the US as a part of my education, and i am saying that well aware of the fact that top ten us schools do beat the rest of the best schools in the world, some of which are, however, truly outstanding in many aspects.

not all medical students/graduates rely solely on memorization. many actually like to learn and understand. i am sure this is regardless of what school they happened to go to and in what country.

can you please do us a favor and share you experience? if you can be specific as to what you think was especially good about your curriculum that may help us to hone our board preparation. needless to say, it will be a great input as it is not everybody that gets a 99, and getting a 99 is not something that a school can do for you. it can only help, but as you mentioned, your class average was in the 90s. which means that half of the class did way worse than you and not everybody got a 99. and this also means that there are other US schools that rank much lower, but have had students score higher than some students in your school, albeit in lesser numbers....

i would like to ask you to mention what materials you used for your review, how many questions you did before you took the boards, and what your average was on them, and what one should pay attention to while studying, as well as some tips you got during your schooling that you found to be of particular benefit to you. of course, if you have time, please do mention anything else that you may think of to be of value for preparing for the boards.

thanks.

xyz

i started off wen i was in 4th yr...like most schools i had done all the step 1 subjects by 3rd yr and also core rotations in medicine and surgery...i gave my step 1 in final year...throughout the yr i was continuing my speciality rotations (gynae,ent,eye,psuche,peds,ortho,anaesthesia,derma,community) as well was preparing for my steps...so my pattern might b different from those who graduate n then study exclusively for the MLE..anyway i did kaplan (for sure) for all the subjects except patho for which i did BRS...but i also did look into my course books for anything that i didnt understand or remember..i did a lottt of mcqs, both online and out of books...did both Q bank and Q book ( from kaplan) as well as some of BSS...the books r essentially the same as ppl hv written over and over again, but remember, the key is to limit urself to things which can atleast b scanned during the last month...on most of my tests i got 85%...abt the schooling, we had a lot of 'favourite' questions out of each module which were always asked no matter wat and we later realized that they were very frequent appearances on MLE too...one thing that is most imp is to build up a stamina to study for so lonng and b motivated...if u can, discuss each topic with a study partner if u hv...after u do each topic, donot move on to the next w/o summarizing the important points...revisions do matter, amd the more u do them, the better( along with mcqs ofcourse)....Remember one thing, everybody reads the same books, its how they read them makes the difference...ad yes, REASON everything..
if u hv any other ques, ure most welcome...and i didnot mean to offend anyone here...ALL THE BEST

thanks, xyz. very helpful. best of luck for your residency apps.

once again, congratulations!

ravisomas

XYZ,
Your point would be??????????