USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
My two cents - bdj - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 2 CK (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: My two cents - bdj (/showthread.php?tid=272017)

Pages: 1 2

My two cents - bdj - ArchivalUser - 02-19-2008

Hi friends
All I can say is that there is no single formula that will give you the assurance that you need to take the test. A lot of stress is going on b/c of people who did well on UW and NBME and still failed. I am sorry to hear that, we all are, but for those of you with exams close don't look at other's experience as t his may mislead your decision.

This test is about your ability to extract important information that you need in the shortest amount of time, in order to answer the question. This test is also abou your ability to understand "what's the question". I don't know how many times we have talked about it. This is not about NBME score, yes it helps, yes it gives you that anxiety feeling of...Gosh this feels like the true exam, but NBME is biased...sometimes full of vignettes that are similar or identical to other forms and they do change the vignettes. If you know the principle and you know the diagnosis, next best step, best management, goal standard you KNOW what you need to know to sit for the exam. PAY ATTENTION TO THE QUESTION. Again, read it first when you are not tired and overwhelmed by the long vignette. Read at a good pace not fast enough that you're not getting the important details, not too slow that you're running behind. This is why UW or Kaplan or any other testing material is important. GET USED to it. GET used to being uncomfrotable with not enough information, and do engage on discussions in the forum. Not just the answer but WHY, WHAT'S NEXT, HOW'S THIS POSSIBLE...Learn from your mistakes better to learn from them ahead of time!

If you prepared properly you should be able to pass. Goljan couldn't say this better: This is a test for a fourth year medical student. Come on, a lot of us have even been practicing medicine in our own country right? So this is just a matter of adjusting to the US standard, and you better do this sooner rather than later if your final intention is to do residency here right? Start today!

Study hard, but bear in mind they are not asking anything that a fourth year medical student shouldn't know/wouldn't be able to answer. If most US students pass the exam why couldn't you? This is a matter of learning and knowing the system and again the MOST important thing is ASK YOURSELVES WHAT IS THE QUESTION????

You'll be surprised of how many people failed because they don't know to DISSECT THAT SIMPLE PHRASE: WHAT IS THE QUESTION. For those of you struggling with failure, and those with enough time I DO encourage to take a couple of days and listen to Goljan...He's a great motivator and once you've "seen things" through his eyes this is not an impossible task. I'm trying to advocate for anything other than your own self esteem and confidence. If I did this anybody can, it takes guts, endurance and commitment... BUT WE ALL CAN DO THIS!!!

Good luck I have to go back to my step3 preparation but I couldn't just move on seeing how many good friends are in stress now and showld be more confident. Been here, done that...and it's great to say it's over!
Regards,
BDJ

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-19-2008

bdj thanks for evrythign u write here.

Agreed with BDJ, friends please I really wanted to know what to do so I asked in forum, friends dont want to see you scared, everyone has different experience right ? but belive me it was all from the medical knowledge not from anywhere else so plese dont be panic before exam, dont change your exam date realy I dont want to harm you I could have ask for help to elba or BDJ by mail, most of students are geting from uw and kaplan so dont mind 2 or 3 persion if saying something else. you can do it, see me I started already and who knows with in 2 months I will write my experience with 90 score. so please guys I am sorry and I really want that you will all pass. hope for the best and dont waste time try your best , all we can do it.

Dear Aryan:
You don't have to apologize. This happens all the time I went through that when I was close to my exam, I'm just pointing out what I think is a motivational/guidance based on my experience. All this hesitation is quite normal, b/c I think that most of ppl that fail either don't share the outcome or lie saying they passed when they didn't .

Therefore my message is for you also, as you shouldn't feel bad b/c of your failure. It takes a lot of courage to come up front and share that with everybody! Bad things happen to good people, it;s not about the bad experience is about your ability to overcome it and YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT!!
GL
BDJ

hey bdj......thanks so muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch..that was so considerate...

we wont quit.. we've been thru tougher phases to be a doc.. thanks again

I am feeling guilty to see all geting scared . bdj can you give me the goljan audio .i have to take exam on april second week

thanx bdj for sharing ur exp and gl for ur step 3 ......
btw do u hav [any one ] the link for goljan step 2 ck audios...
pls reply
thanx

Goljan audios http://www.sendspace.com/file/o6qnrm

Audios are not in oder they are from somebody else, but you can figure them out.... If you have ipod and convert them using itunes you can listen to them almost anywhere. That is what I did. So whenever I was going to the grocery store, whenever I was doing the lawn, laundry, cleaning the house...I was listening to Goljan. Great help for me!
GL

count me in aryan.My result came over a mnth ago and i still can't pick up the books yet. I know the more i delay ,the more i will find excuse for not studying.But lets all who failed come together and motivate each other and get this over with.
Best of luck this time for all of us.

thanks for the advice ---i will try to keep my head over my neck in the exam