USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Any Philippine grads joining Match 2009? - xthine - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Any Philippine grads joining Match 2009? - xthine (/showthread.php?tid=321160)

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-14-2009

Hello Darevee,

congrats on the number of IVs you are getting. I'm also pinoy and a silent member of this forum. I'm joining this year's match kaya lang late application (mid october). I don't have IV's just yet, plenty of rejects. anyway, my question is, since this is your 2nd time, what changes did you make or what did you improve on your application this time around? salamat sa tulong.

rtzmd

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-15-2009

rtzmd
Thanks.
I applied with Step 3 scores in hand and 5 months of observership/externships (2 mos clinic based, 1 month nursing homes, and 2 months with different residency training programs), and of course, US LORs.
Good luck!

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-16-2009

rtzmd: glad to see you here. i've applied too for match 2010. so far, i had one IV already and another 1 to go. did you apply in peds ? i went to texas tech el paso last week and they have 2 pinays there. did you apply there? if i remember it right, you're from texas too.

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-21-2009

hello GuysWink Happy WeekendsWink

hi agr!
anong bago dyan?
glad to see that you are still very active in the forum. Smile

darevee: Thanks. If I don't get any interviews soon, do I register for NRMP match to join the scramble? Please advise.

rn2md: No I did not apply to texas Tech. I did not apply to a lot of programs. My mistake. Anyway, congrats on your IV's and good luck. Hopefully ma-match ka. I'm thinking to try my luck na lang sa scramble, even though I have no idea how to go about it.

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-22-2009

rtzmd: we have to apply to NRMP by Nov 30 to pay $50 only, after that there's a late fee of $50. we need to register to submit our ROL or join the scramble.

THIS WAS an email message sent to me by my friend YAKISOBA RE:SCRAMBLE..WHAT TO DO IF YOU NEED TO UNDERGO SCRAMBLE after matching day..

DISCLAIMER: KINDLY DOUBLE CHECK W/ ERAS for the accuracy of this,ok

Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 11:13:34 PM

Subject:Scramble

Tol!

I am pretty sure you don't need to scramble.. but just in case.... this is how to do it..

1. The week before match, keep 1 copy of the following documents ready:
-Cover letter [Include your AAMC ID number, phone numbers and email ID]
-CV [Prepare a good current CV. It may be different from the September2007]
-Personal statement [If you are trying for different specialties I suggest making common PS without mentioning the specialty of interest]
-Recommendation letters
-ECFMG certificate
-Deans letter
-Medical school transcripts
-USMLE score reports
-Passport size photo [Optional]

2. If you can afford, buy an all in one fax machine [copier, printer & fax] and hook it up to your computer. If you have an additional computer it is better. Make sure you have high-speed Internet and good phone lines [1 or 2].

3. Sign up with any Internet fax like efax.com, smartfax.com, rapidfax.com, myfax.com, faxaway.com [These are not scramble services, they are just for faster, more efficient faxing]. Just goole Internet faxing and you can use any service you like.
Fax the above documents to the fax service you sign up with and they will email you the whole set as 1 PDF document. This will be useful when you want to email the documents to some programs. You can send it as 1 attachment.
[If you are sure you have to scramble do all this the week before the match to avoid last minute hassle. If you think you want to wait till Monday to find out if you matched you can do Step 3 on Monday.

4. On Monday of the Match week make sure you are ready with all the above. Do some inbound and outbound faxing trials and get familiar with the Internet faxing system.
Make sure you have at least one additional person to help you with the scramble process so that they can take care of the faxing while you make the phone calls.

5. On Tuesday of the Match week, locations of all unfilled positions are released at 12:00 noon Eastern Time. Printout the unfilled position lists of all the specialties you want to scramble for.
If the program has a red star [*] against the program code you have to use ERAS for scramble. So make sure you know which programs you want to apply through ERAS.

ERAS is available to applicants to apply to a maximum of forty-five (45) programs free of charge. Thirty (30) of those programs can be new programs and fifteen (15) can be programs to which the applicant has applied during the ERAS season. The applicant must meet the following criteria: *Must have participated in ERAS during the regular season. This means you must have applied to (and paid for) at least one program.

*Account must be paid in full no less than two weeks prior to the Scramble period.

6. For the remaining programs ask your friend to start faxing and emailing your documents. The NRMP list will not have the phone number and fax number for all the programs. You should log on to ERAS and search with the AAMC number that is given and you will get the details. You start calling the programs and talk to them. Most of the phone lines and fax lines are busy. You may not get to talk to anyone but if you do try to sound convincing and confident. The fax service will update you via email with information on the numbers they have sent the fax successfully and the numbers you need to try again.
7. This process will go on for 2 days [Tuesday and Wednesday]. On Thursday, Match Day! Match results for applicants are posted to Web site at 1:00 pm eastern time.

I hope this helps everyone who is wondering how to go about it. If anybody has any additions to it or some better ideas please do write in.
Good Luck to All.
AGR

where are you YAKISOBAWinkKMUSTA Texas? e2 malamig ng konti d2 sa Baltimore pro ok lng..may araw kanaina..mga early 50's lng weather d2Winkkmusta sa family mo,ok

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-26-2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYBODY!!!