USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Any Philippine grads joining Match 2009? - xthine - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Any Philippine grads joining Match 2009? - xthine (/showthread.php?tid=321160)

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-10-2008

pinoy_doc: Thanks! Nope, im still here sa pinas studying for step 3, will fly on october 31. By the way, I got an invite at SUNY downstate for neuro and jewish hospital of cincinnati for prelim. Ikaw, are you in the US na?

Xthine
Do you know what happened to your friend who was denied an extension? How long did it take them to respond to her? Does a denied request really makes your multiple entry visa void? Ive read in a lot of threads that it makes getting a J1 harder but they also said it shouldnt have any effect on an H1.

hey darevee! Yeah, problem ang extension when applying for a j1. Last year nabasa ko dito sa forum na may mga pinoy na nadeny dahil sa extension. Takot yata sila na mag visa waiver ka after J1.

virtuoso

eto email add ko: lasalaleo Add nyo ako friendster, myspace, USMLE Forum. Huwag lang matakot sa mukha ko. Para at least pagnagkita naman tyo sa mga interviews naman tyo at nagkita, at least may kilala na. Nakakatakot itong match process. Good luck sa atin lahat! Makakapasok tyo lahat!

Virtuoso
Yup! Yun din nga ang concern ko. My allowed stay ends on Dec 18. If I go home naman and come back right after New Year for the rest of the interview season, will that be a problem?
Technically, I wont be using up the 6 mos/yr allowed stay in US since 21 days pa lang ang total # US days ko. I've been staying in Canada right after I took my CS and am only going back next week for step 3 and IVs. Wala na sana akong problem if kinuha ng border people yung I-94 card ko when i left the US pero ayaw nilang kunin! grrrr.

If I pass the step 3 and get the H1B visa Ive been hoping for then the extension shouldn't be a problem right? Problema lng talaga if I get the J1 only. So these are my 2 options now. Get an extension and hope that I get H1 or go back to the Phils for 2 weeks and hope they let me back in the US so soon after leaving!
What would you guys do?

helo virtouso

nabasa ko lang u want to reschedule your Harlem interview? is that right? nareschedule mo ba? i was invited for interview this October 31 pero nandito pa ako sa Pinas, gusto ko sana mga November na... emailed them sabi nila yun lang daw available as of this time...

salamat haSmile

Hi michelle. Madali lang siguro yan. Kasi idedelay mo naman ang interview. Definitely magkakaroon pa sila ng slots later. In my case, they scheduled me for november, sabi ko i booked my flight already for late october which was the original date in the initial invitation. Nung una fully booked na daw ang october, kaya sorry na lang. Pero later nag-email ang PC saying she scheduled me for my preferred date in october, kasi may last minute na nagcancel. Kulitin mo yung PC sa emails mo.

virtuoso

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-11-2008

Darevee: Her multiple entry visa was not revoked and the processing took about 3-4 months (same as mine). Actually the last time I applied for a tourist visa the consul told me that she'll give me the visa for Step 3 but since I was in the US for 5 months (because I extended) it's gonna be harder for me to get a visa next time (referring to the J visa most likely).
Only 1 out of the 3 programs where I was invited for an interview offer the H visa..the program that I want offers only a J visa (thinking waayy ahead haha).
There was a thread here from last year, Pinoy denied a J visa due to an extension. Perhaps there were other reasons for the denial, not just the extension per se.

It seems that applying to have the i94 extended makes it harder to get a J visa, but hopefully not impossible, so I'm keeping the faith and concentrating on interview prep for now.

I've read in one of the threads here that as long as one doesn't overstay or becomes out of status then there should not be a problem.

hi daravee.. added ka na! =)

i am not philipine but love them for those "pheeni" noses and "chunni" eyes