USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
LOW Scores,, MPH from usa,, my chances? - uneeza - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: LOW Scores,, MPH from usa,, my chances? - uneeza (/showthread.php?tid=387746)

Pages: 1 2

LOW Scores,, MPH from usa,, my chances? - uneeza - ArchivalUser - 02-23-2009

I am an old graduate >6 yrs,,low scores in step 1 and 2,, doing MPH in usa. have not taken step 3. what are my chances of getting residency in pediatrics or family practice for the 2010 match? am an IMG with usa citizenship?

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-23-2009

0-100%.

hey ya i got that,, i need some real feedback,,

You chances are 110% if you start believing in that and work towards your goal. Take step 3 and try to get as much USCE as possible................Don't look at the failures of the people, instead look at those who have achieved everything here in US. Don't pay any attention to posts where you see disappointment and despair. You have very good chance of getting into a residency program especially in Peds and Family Medicine...............GL

You have a good chance for Family Practice- its the least comeptitive and your mph will be an asset. For family practice the number of attempts matter more than the scores (and people who failed once or twice have also matched into family)...plus being a citizen will help immensely

So go for it!

You have a very good shot. MPH is very helpful to get into FM, psychiatry and IM. With your MPH, you can show an interest in Infectious diseases and public health. Very very helpful. You are a citizan. That will help you go a long way. Other than that, work on your step 3. That will overcome your low scores. If you are a citizan and done with step 3, rest is irrelevant. Good luck!!

Get some USCE-- tht will save ur application big time. ur Citizenship will help u. MPH does not help much as i have seen with few frns.

GL

uneeza,
u need to define first what u really want.. peds and fm are very very different.. different score requirements.. peds is much tougher with almost 75% seats going to amgs.. however fm has stricter criteria for usce despite 50% seats for imgs
u need to do probably 3-6 months observerships in one of these 2 and get 4 solid lors from faculty members of either peds or fm.. since u r an old grad u wont be treated like the ppl in 99/99 bracket who graduated within 2 yrs do.. i was like urself as well..

goodluck

Go in for USCE. I have tons of friends who have done MPH. Doesn't help much. In your case (low scores and old grad), USCE rules. i am very very positive about that. MPH will slightly enhance your resume provided you meet other criteria like good scoes, fresh grad, USCE etc. If there is a deficiency in these aspects, then MPH will in no way compensate for it. I know plenty of individuals who go in for MPH thinking it helps. But USCE (meaningful USCE in teaching hospitals) always rules!!!!!!!!!

0 - ArchivalUser - 02-24-2009

thanks guys,,you all are really encouraging,,,
can anyone please guide me as how to go about getting usce,,is it possible in nyc?