USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Anyone on J1 research - kukhyata - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Anyone on J1 research - kukhyata (/showthread.php?tid=395891)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone on J1 research - kukhyata - ArchivalUser - 03-24-2009

Hi. Is there anyone doing research on a J1 visa for a year? I joined research at mayo Clinic on a J 1 visa recently which is for one year duration. I am planning to apply for residency next year. If I get a match next year and if its only for a J1 visa, then can I join my residency???????? the problem comes is since I am on a J1 visa already, I need to go back and stay at my home country for one year before I could join another program on J1. is there anyone with similar visa? Please help with this issue?
Others also are welcome...........

Thank you

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-24-2009

some on this forum say that the conversion is easy and no prob at all. some say impossible.. some say change to H1 will solve the prob as the law does not stand and some alos say that change to H1 will take about 8 months.

I am on a J1 research, which is a unpaid position and I pay for myself. so what will be the scenario????

Dude, you are screwed, the same thing happened to me and I lost 3 years and counting....

Am on j1 research, and I can clarify:

1.YES, ECFMG can transfer the j1 research to j1 clinical residency .There should be no problem at all.( without the need of going back to your country of origin for 2 years)

2.to change from j1 research to h1b research you need at least 6 months,( pretty sure as I contacted attorneys regarding this.)

3.Please elinmigrante can you explain more what happened to you.

thanks

..... so I decided to give up the residency an enter in the bussiness field, I became a manager in one Mc Donalds. JAJAJAJA,
-Just kidding, the truth is that depending of your country of origin, you are subject to the 2 year physical presence in your home country, before you'll be able to switch to any other kind of visa (h1b, F or even green card).
-The J1 research by no mean is equal to the J1 medical and to switch to the later requires what I just said.
-However there is a way to trick the system and it is getting a waiver, the process is very tedious and again depending in your home country, it could take a lifetime.
-Once you get the waiver of your country, you need a waiver from US and it also takes more time.
-Finally once the waiver is aproved here you have to apply for the change of status, which also can take months.
-In summary, there is no way to get it done for residency if you prematch or matched while you have a J1 research. (and your country is subject to the returning home requirement).

I hope it explains the issue.

0 - ArchivalUser - 03-25-2009

hi elinmigrante,

I think you r completely wrong, the truth is even if you are subjective to 2 years of home residency , you still can make the transfer from j1 research to j1 clinical through the ECFMG right away after you match in a residency program ,without the obligation of going back to your country of origin for 2 years.........

elinmigrante is completely incorrect. I am going through the same process of transfer.

@beesh81: are you going through the transfer? can we get in touch? residencyseeker

hi hunk,

Actually am not passing through the transfer this year, hopefully next year....

can you post the outcome of your transfer process ?

thanks a lot guys for the help... But from the comments from diff people its kinda confusing and scary too.
Pls guys...... share our experience more and more and hlp those who are screwed.......

J1 research can change to J1 clinical. ECFMG confirmed this by phone call. People have done it even starting in March and were ready by July. You will have the 2 year home return thing to do after you finish 7 years in total.

J1 research to H1 can be done though the waiver process is long.